Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riverrat68 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2011, 06:06 PM
    Maintaining fiberglassed wooden boat
    I am looking for advice on removing several layers of fiberglass from an old wooden boat. There is no sign of rot on wood that is visible from inside the boat.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 07:36 PM

What is it your trying to accomplish ?

What type of repair are you trying to make?

Mar 10, 2011, 07:43 PM
    I have a wooden boat that was built in 1924, and fiberglassed over in the 1950s. The glass lasted a long time, but there are now slow leaks which I cannot find the source of, through small holes in the glass. I need a systemic solution. I could try putting a new layer of glass over the existing layers, which would make the boat heavier and slower. Or I could try taking all the old glass off, and putting new glass on directly on the old wood. I'm hoping to find someone who's had some experience working with wooden boats that were glassed over like this. Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 07:48 PM

Working with fiberglass can be a pain. Also if you don't cover properly when sanding it then you end up itching like crazy. Here is a general article that describes repairs. From that it may give you more insight into what your wanting to get into.

Aquaskier - Articles - Gel Coat Repairs - How To Repair Fiberglass Gel Coat
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 07:51 PM

Here is another one I forgot.

Gelcoat and fiberglass repair techniques,fiberglass boat

Mar 11, 2011, 08:53 AM
    These articles are very helpful in explaining the steps to making repairs.

Are there any videos online that show someone doing the kind of fiberglass repairs described in these articles? The process is complex, and a video would help.

Thanks!
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 02:47 PM

Here are some from YouTube.

YouTube - fiberglass repair on boats

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maintaining WindowXP [ 6 Answers ]

For a novice with computers what instructions can I give to someone to maintain their PC. (including virus protection, keeping the registry fixed, etc) I know maybe something's should be done weekly, some monthly) I guess the reliable automatic maintenance features, if you think those are goods....

Maintaining stock [ 2 Answers ]

How to calculate Minimum stock, maximum stock and reorder level quantity while doing material purchase. veearrgee

My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane [ 3 Answers ]

As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my...

View more questions Search