Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 05:37 PM

Yes, people do, but these people know what they're doing. You don't.

Emily, you're not experienced enough to do this. You can't even figure out how to keep your dog from going through your purse, and you want to use him to hunt coyotes?

Not once did I tell you that hunting with Hunter was what was needed. I told you to fulfill his breed. I never said to take him out after live game. I am sticking by what I say. He needs to be worked. That doesn't mean that he has to become a hunting dog. You have a dog with ingrained instincts. That doesn't mean that you have to make him what he's bred to be. You're not qualified to do that!

I have 3 dogs, all working breeds. None of them do what they were bred to do. All of them are happy dogs because I work with them, expend their energy, their breed instinct, in other ways. I gave you tips on how to do that. Did you even listen?

Chewy is a beagle. Read up on them. Beagles are scent hounds, used to track rabbits, even kill them. Chewy is a fine example of his breed. His instincts are dead on. He plays with our rabbits. He doesn't hunt them.

Why? Because I fulfill his instincts in other ways. I expel his energy, allow him to do what he's bred to do, without him going after my rabbits.

Chewy is 2 1/2 year old. He's not destructive, he's not aggressive, he's a wonderful pet, and a wonderful addition to our family. If I didn't do the things I do, I'd have Hunter on my hands.

Think about it.

I'm 2 seconds away from closing this thread. I'm done with your excuses, and I'm done with you twisting our words.

If you want to use Hunter to hunt coyotes, even though you can't even figure out how to stop his issues, then do it. Don't you dare come crying to us when he's killed because you didn't listen. :(
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 05:42 PM

Lucky just told me Hunter can't be used for a bird dog. "He wasnt bred for that", Im trying to do WHAT HE WAS BRED FOR and I get blacked on!
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 06:53 PM

Emily, what about my suggestions?

I actually own a scent hound! I own a retriever! I own a herding dog!

Did you even take any of my suggestions into consideration?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 06:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lucky only say they were used for flushing and not retrieving?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 06:59 PM

Emily, you are sounding like a petulant child instead of a responsible pet owner.

When are you planning to teach him to hunt coyotes? Tomorrow? Or are you waiting for Summer like you keep saying you want to do? How do you plan to train him to hunt coyotes and flush them out instead of chasing them down like he does Duke? What are you planning to do if Hunter decides Duke is 'prey' instead of playmate?

You don't seem to think about taking toys and treats outside and putting them in the snow for him to seek out.

Where do you think those of us who live in urban areas have to walk our dogs? Chloe gets walked on the road. It is part of her training to stay on the side of the road. It is our duty to make certain she doesn't get in trouble.

Get up and get your dog moving. Inside, outside, on the moon. Teach him to 'dance'. Teach him 'get' and 'give' games. Work his mind and his body. Have him pick things up for you.

There are people who train Beagles to hunt termites. Other hounds are trained to sniff out bedbugs or disease in beehives. There are a lot of things he can be trained to 'hunt' that can make money and aren't weather dependent.

Your father wants a hunting dog and doesn't see the value of a generally well trained animal. That is his problem. Yours is explaining to him that a well trained animal makes a better hunting companion.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 07:35 PM

First off, I was going to start training as soon as I got a cyote hide (which would be sometime this week).

Second, since Alty's post (which I DID listen to), I have been hiding his toys and what not in the yard. But he is still destructive, so obviously that is not enough work for him.

I did listen to the post's, but they don't appear to be enough, I was looking to do more. Hunter out walking or jogging gets cold, but if he had a job I don't think he would, but walking or jogging him doesn't get his mind off it enough.

I do live in an urban area, I do walk him on the streets, but do you run for 2 hours with your dog? No, I doubt it, so don't explect me to. So he gets 2 hours of walking/jogging a day broken up into 20 minute periods. That is something you guys are not reading, HE GETS OUT, HE DOES THINGS! He just doesn't go hunting... so what am I doing wrong then?

We play in the yard, we walk, we jog, we go to the dog park, BUT it is in 20 minute periods.

This obviously isn't good enough, but hunting isn't good enough either...

You guys think I don't do ANYTHING with him, I do!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 08:13 PM

I own three German Shorthaired Pointers.. Two of them are 12 years old and the 3rd is only 4 months. This breed is the breed to have if you want to do hunting sports. I don't hunt, therefore, my dogs get exercised in a different way. This breed is a machine when it comes to work. They don't stop until its done... I have an AKC title on my old girl for obedience... She went to work with my almost every day, she got to run out in Public land as fast and as hard as she wanted.. She retrieved water toys from the lake, I took her for walks that lasted up to 5 hours.. When I went for a ride with my horse, she was there with me.. She got to hunt, and snoop, and point and do everything that her bird dog brain wanted to do.. But did I shoot a bird? NO! She is 12 years old now and still runs 6 miles.. its 4 times a month now, but when she was young it was daily. If she did not get out, she was horrible.

I was your age when I got her, actually, I was younger than you when I got her.

When I was 16, I did so much with my dog.. And this was long before I knew any proper training techniques, behavior problems and so on..

So the fact that you are sitting here saying that you can't do certain things with your dog because of your age, weather and so on just makes me mad. There is no difference between my bird dogs and your hound mix.. They both need exercise, and lots of it, they both have drives to hunt...

I would think that you, being the owner, would have enough common sense to find a way to make your dog happy, to not allow your dog to walk all over you and discipline him enough to know better then to destroy items in your house.

I don't think you are a good dog owner, Emily. You are constantly having problems with all of your pets. You constantly are battling your parents over the rights of your animals and supposibly let other people abuse your animals. There is aways a new story and a new idea... And your ideas are always so off the wall. One single dog DOES NOT hunt coyotes. Do you have any idea how mean they are? You said your dog isn't even a purebred.. So how do you know he would even hunt? Just because he shows some instincts of hunting, doesn't mean he'd actually hunt.

Your dad sounds like an idiot. If he wants a hunting dog, then he should save the money on the tracking collar, and spend it on the training. A good hunting dog is a VERY well trained dog all around. Not just in the field. Your dog is too illmannered and you are to soft with him? Do you even know how to train a hunting dog? Does your dad? Or are you two going to take hunter out one summer afternoon with an electronic collar attached to him and zap him for everything he does? Because that is what it seems like.

No one here is trying to prevent you from making Hunter happy, but the things you are choosing for him to do are crazy. I would never have my dogs hunt coyotes.. not even my pit bulls who could probably handle that type of sport. I would never allow my dogs to treat me the way you allow Hunter to treat you... I would never allow my parents to dictate on what my dogs job is going to be or not going to be...

Hunter is just a puppy and already you are having a 1001 problems with him. He is only going to get worse because you are going to allow it. This dog is too much for you to handle. He requires too much exercise that you are not willing to do. He requires more training then what you want to do.

You need to quite fighting all of the advise given and take what you want. There is more then enough experience talking to you and giving you ideas.. Something is bound to work for you and Hunter.

I think you should join agility. I think you would really enjoy it. Its 1 on 1 with your dog. I think Hunter would enjoy it as well.. It would be an outlet for him to expel all of his energy. Why not check and see if there is an agility club in your area?
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 08:24 PM

Second, since Alty's post (which I DID listen to), I have been hiding his toys and what not in the yard. But he is still destructive, so obviously that is not enough work for him.
    OMG! I posted that yesterday! You expect all his issues, with the minimal work you've put in, to be fixed in a day? Are you serious?

I did listen to the post's, but they don't appear to be enough, I was looking to do more. Hunter out walking or jogging gets cold, but if he had a job I don't think he would, but walking or jogging him doesn't get his mind off it enough.
    Not once did any of us say that one days worth of work was going to solve the issues. Not once! One day, that's what you've put into it! One day! I'm so upset right now I could scream! :mad:

I do live in an urban area, I do walk him on the streets, but do you run for 2 hours with your dog? No, I doubt it, so don't explect me to.
    I live in the burbs. You're right, I don't run my dogs 2 hours a day, it's more like 4, and I also live in Canada, in more then 4 feet of snow, and very cold temps, and my short haired breed, which is 1/2 the size of yours, and a purebred scent hound, goes out for those 4 hours every day!

You guys think I don't do ANYTHING with him, I do!
    I used to think you were trying, but after your last post, you're right, I don't think you do anything with him. I think you do everything half a$$ed, you don't put in the work, you expect instant solutions, less then one day of trying our methods and you're ready to say it doesn't work. So no, you don't give it your all, you don't even give 10%. :mad:
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2011, 08:42 PM

I have 2 poodles, bred to retrieve ducks out of water, hence why they are in such funny trims.
    Both of mine DESPISE water... they would make lousy retrievers because they would run to the edge of the water and stop, plus would probably rip a duck to shreds rather than bring it back.

However, because they like chasing and bringing things back I just use a tennis ball at the park.
    We go down there for a couple of hours a day and just throw the ball around.
    They are pooped by the time we get home and sleep the rest of the day.

My Chinese Cresteds breed purpose was to sit around and look pretty... he is content with a frolic in the back yard and doesn't need hours of exercise a day.

It's important to pick a breed that will suit your lifestyle, not what is convenient at the time.
    If you have a high energy breed you better be prepared to expel that energy somehow.
    If you have a dog with a high prey drive, you need to find an outlet for it and so on...

The poodles are a little too high maintenance for me, I don't always feel like taking them to the park every day, but I do it, because I would rather them be fulfilled and sleepy than destructive and bored.

Training Hunter is going to take a lot of work, and no, we are not skimming over your posts, it really does sound like you are not prepared to put the work into him.
    Yes you walk him daily but you are expecting far too much of him too quickly... it can take years to train a dog to be a reliable hunting dog... you are having trouble putting in a single days effort because you haven't got results yet.
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 09:10 PM

I have a Labrador retriever. He actually has webbed toes because they're bred to retrieve from water. Shazzy, I feel your pain. Indy can't, or won't, swim. We put him in a pool once, and you would have thought we were trying to drown him.

He loves water, as long as it doesn't go past his chest. We have other friends with labs. We used to all go camping together. We'd go to the lake, toss balls, frisbies, you name it, into the water for the dogs to retrieve. All the other labs would run in, swim to their target. Indy would wait on the shore for the waves to bring his ball back. Sigh.

But, in every other way, he's a lab. He's too old to care now (he'll be 16 in May) but in his young days we would spend 5 hours or more a day outdoors with him, tiring him out, throwing things for him to retrieve, going for walks in the hills, in the bush. All of our energy was put into him.

Now we have a border collie cross (if I put him in a field of sheep tomorrow I doubt I'd even have to train him to herd. It's in his blood), and a beagle (he could track down my underwear 3 towns away, and no, my underwear isn't nasty ;)), and they both have very different needs. Both of them have their needs met, along with my 4 rabbits, my bird, even the useless fish. Don't forget that I also have two kids to take care of, a home to care for, meals to cook, laundry to clean, snow to shovel, you name it.

If I can do it, then a 16 year old that doesn't go to school, doesn't have a job, doesn't have kids, a home to care for, and less pets then I do, and only one dog, not 3, to train, should definitely be able to do it
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 09:22 PM

No, I'm sorry you misunderstood my post. I am not giving up, I'm just saying those suggestions didn't even make hunter break a sweat. I'll still do them, but today I went out for twenty, in for 10, I did this 3 time playing, plus I did it three times for his walk. It just seems hunter wants to do more. I'll look into agility, I know there is a place here who offers 10 classes for $60, which is super cheap.
    And sorry alty, I have to correct you, I have 2 dogs, not one. Yes actually I do go to school, but only in the morning, I also do have to keep the house clean, part of the agreement to me doing corrispondanse (vaccum, dishes, sweep, mop, and dust everyday, bathrooms once a week)also I need to find time to do my courses, I don't just sit at home and do nothing. I do what would be done in class but at home.
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 09:41 PM

And sorry alty, I have to correct you, I have 2 dogs, not one. Yes actually I do go to school, but only in the morning, I also do have to keep the house clean, part of the agreement to me doing corrispondanse (vaccum, dishes, sweep, mop, and dust everyday, bathrooms once a week)also I need to find time to do my courses, I don't just sit at home and do nothing. I do what would be done in class but at home.
    Emily, I have 3 dogs, one very elderly, which means he's 10 times more work then the other two combined.

I also have 4 rabbits, a bird, and fish.

Don't forget my two kids, and my husband.

Don't even try to compare work loads. The point is, I not only clean my house, cook meals, care for my children, do all the shopping for the household, take care of our yard, our cars, laundry, homework, and do my woodworking etc. etc. etc. I also take care of all of our animals, and none of them are deprived.

The dogs (excluding Indy because he's too old) get at least 4 hours of run around time every day. At least 2 hours of that is walking, the rest is in the yard, in the house, whatever weather permits. Most times it's more the 4 hours a day.

The rabbits get around 4 hours of run round time (supervised) each day.

The bird get's 2 hours out each day, again supervised.

I drive my kids to school everyday, and pick them up. I make all three meals a day and keep our home clean. I help them with homework, bath time, play with them, and read to them, every day!

My dogs are all fulfilled, and none of them are lazy, easygoing breeds. They're all working dogs. Ask me how many shoes I have eaten up in my house? Ask me how many things my dogs have destroyed.

You may think you're busy, but trust me, a day in your life would be like a vacation to me.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 10:22 PM

My schedule:

I help my mom run a rescue with 20 adults and 7 puppies. And no, we don't adopt out dogs every day. I have to clean kennels, feed, make sure that no one is injured or sick, basic grooming needs (toenail trims and with summer around the corner, monthly baths), clean the outdoor kennels, probably fill in some holes, give medications and if needbe take someone to the vet... not to mention the Spay/Neuter care when someone just had surgery. I have to fill waters and make sure everyone is in with someone they like.

I have 3 horses to care for. They're pretty easy pleasers, but its getting warm out and they are shedding... Every 6 months or so, they have to have their feet cared for and the fence line as to be walked to make sure there are no holes in the fence, and of coarse, no injuries.

I go to school full time. I have to study.. I will being going to my internship in a bit, so my workload is going to double (ugh).

I have friends, a boyfriend and my parents...

In amongst all of this, I still play with my dogs, I still make sure they get out (even if its just a trip to the grocery store) and I still make sure they are happy. This pup is going to be going to obedience class with me here in a bit, so then I get to add working with him to my list.

Emily, you can't honestly think you can outdo any one of us with a busy schedule. You are never too busy to set aside time for your dogs. And if they are that much of a burden to you, then you need to rehome him.

So many things have been wrecked by my dogs.. Miley decided one day that books tasted pretty good and completely destroyed some books and my dvds. How she got them? No clue. A rescue puppy just chewed my $80 shoes and my $60 Ipod car port... My black pit when she was young, slowly destroyed my down comforter and chewed a hole in my wall. When my old dogs were young, I can't even tell you how many remote controls we went through. My mom's dog stole the Easter ham and many other things off the counter throughout her years. Things happen... and you just need to take them with a grain of salt and move on.

I hope you do sign up for agility. Like I said, I think you and Hunter will enjoy it. I just hope you actually go through with it.
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 10:38 PM

Okay, I have to admit, my dogs have gotten into things.

When Indy was a puppy we left him alone for the first time. We didn't crate him because it wasn't something either of our families had ever done, and we never had issues.

Well, we came home to 5 chewed up remote controls, the blown out painted easter egg decorations all eaten, and a puddle on the floor.

Hubby wasn't pleased. He put Indy outside to "think about what he'd done". I let Indy inside while we were cleaning, he went to my room, onto my bed, head held in shame, looking like he'd lost his best friend.

When we were done cleaning I went upstairs to see what he was doing. There's my little stinker, 3 months old, cute as can be, on my bed, eating my phone!

That was the last straw. I raised my voice. He got scared and peed, on my bed!

Hubby came up, saw what Indy had done, was about to yell. I stopped him "He's scared. He peed in the bed. No yelling, we have to teach him that this isn't acceptable. I want to yell too, trust me I do, but it won't help".

That was the last time he every chewed any remotes or phones, but balls, a work glove, and some sort of stuffed toy that to this day hasn't been identified, those were all fair game until he was older. Oh, there was also the buck wheat husk pillow. What a mess!

The fact is, we spent time teaching him that this was wrong. We spent time tiring him out so he wouldn't get into things. We learned to work with his breed.

Chewy is well named. He's a chewer. He gets food from the table when he's not supposed to (our fault), but chewing shoes, purses, things like that, not for a long time. Not since he was a puppy. Why? He's too busy doing things, having fun, being a beagle. He doesn't have time to destroy my house.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 04:53 AM

Emily, I have two dogs, usually 3 because I foster, I am a single mom, I used to work full time, but now I am in school full time. I have an am staff which is a terrier breed, bred to hunt small game, and a BOXER mix, possibly one of the highest strung dogs out there. I need to work my dogs daily, or they will become restless. So I have to wake up at 5:30am, take the dogs out side, play catch, go for a short walk, and get them to run around the yard, back in to shower, get dressed, wake up my daughter, feed her, get her dressed, drop her off at daycare, go to school, come home on my lunch hour, take the dogs out, back to school, then I have to pick E up from daycare, go home, cook supper, then take the dogs out again. Come home do homework, get E ready for bed, and then it's bed time for me too. Oh plus I volunteer at a shelter, and am there almost every week end, and some times I am there until midnight on school nights!

My point? Life is hard! That's the joys of owning pets! Oh plus I do have 2 large fish tanks, that need constant care and cleaning. I was your age when I got Max, and was introduced into the rescue life. I spent EVERY waking moment in shelters in Winnipeg, and when I moved, to NB I spent every waking moment in their shelters, same with when I moved to NS. I have no life what so ever. I spend all my free time with my child and stray dogs. My dogs are rescues, they are sometimes some of the hardest dogs to housebreak and to re- train. If you go back to when I first joined, I was at my whits end with Lady. Her separation anxiety and aggression had be in tears daily. But as you can see by the pics she is no longer aggressive to other dogs, and her anxiety is slowing being curbed. I know I have to keep her crated, that's why it is so important for her to get her "free" time.

No, when I come home on Friday's and it's raining or snowing I DO NOT want to go out and go for a 4km walk. But I suck it up and do it, because I know my dog has been crated all day, and if I let her out and try and do homework, she will be bugging the heck out of me. It's just all apart of responsible pet ownsership and the duties that go along with it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2011, 05:54 AM

Again, you misread it.

I know my life is pretty easy going, but you were implying I have all the time in the world to do things with the dogs, I don't. I have other things that need to get done. All in all Hunter gets about 3 hours of exercise, about an hour of that is jogging, and an hour is playing in the yard (fetch, tag, etc), and then an hour is walking. That doesn't include what he does inside (Chasing Duke, ripping around the couch in the living room, playing with his toys, etc).

He is destructive even after that, so I don't think hiding things in the snow is going to change it... I guess agility or being a flushing dog (for hunting birds) is the only thing he can do.

I really want to make him a hunting dog, I have plenty of people to help me train him if he is a bird dog. If you have ever been hunting with a bird dog you'd know why, watching them do what they love to do, even if they suck at it, there always happy to be out there, no matter what you throw in front of them. My dads friend has a rescue, they think he is rottie/shepard (he looks like a rottie but with long hair), he is a bird dog, he LOVES it, he retrieves, he flushes, he even goes and catches his own birds! They don't even need to shoot anymore. That's why I want Hunter to try it, and why I had all those posts at the beginning, because I know dogs who are not bred for a specific job could still love that job. Then some of you started to imply he needs to do what he was bred for, by using his nose. That's why I changed my post to cyote hunting, I hunt cyotes, so it would easy to bring Hunter along and see if he liked it, but then that idea got shot down pretty quick. So now I am going to look into him become a flushing dog, and maybe if he seems to enjoy it I will see if he likes retrieving, who knows, maybe it will be the funnest thing he has ever done in his life!

BUT, I am still looking into agility.

Please don't scream at this post, I am explaining why I said what I did.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 06:20 AM

Ok I hope you do look into the agility. I'm going to close this thread because we are now on page 8 and not closer to a solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Cat might be misbehaving, is it because he is lonely? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so my boyfriend brought me home an adorable kitten and we have only had him as our only pet, he is over a year old now and has been very kind and great with people, he gives us kisses and sleeps with us, he has more toys then most children.. but we both have busy schedules during the day so he...

Misbehaving dog [ 3 Answers ]

my border collie x is a bit naughty, at times he won't come to me ( when his playing or when his got something his not suppose to) his great with other dogs though a bit bossy at first & usually loves my 4 yr old sister but yesterday he snapped at her. I was wondering if anyone had ideas to get...

Fireplace thermostat misbehaving [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Heatilator gas fireplace wired to a thermostat. It used to work just fine. Now, if I turn up the 'stat, nothing happens. If I short out across the 'stat contacts, the fireplace comes on and stays on until the 'stat is satisfied. This process repeats itself next time the 'stat calls for...

Min Pin misbehaving [ 6 Answers ]

I have a two year old min pin who chews everything from shower curtains, rugs, pillows to chap stick. He only does this when left alone. I also have a 4 year old rottie lab who is his best friend. They play well together and are inseprable. Rottie... no problems. Min Pin... very destructive. ...

View more questions Search