Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommielynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 08:19 AM
    Is it "safe" to use light ash blond hair color on predominately grey hair?
    I have been coloring my hair for years and have good results from L'oreal products. The Color Experte is my favorite, but lately it fades out to about a level 9 or 10 blond with yellowish. I am probably 80% or more grey. There is a level 9 Color Experte which is hard to find. But, a lot of stores stock the level 8 which is a light ash blond. Would it be wise to use a ash color? Not sure. I just want a light blond with multi-tonal results - not just one flat color.
    Lanist57 Posts: 31, Reputation: 8

Mar 14, 2011, 05:14 AM
    Without seeing your hair, and just based on what you said here, I would offer this advice: "Ash" haircolors tend to have a purple or blue base to them. Many types of gray (or "non-pigmented") hair does not have the remaining yellow, orange, or red undertones that pigmented hair which "ash" color is meant to counteract. The result could possibly leave you with a blue or purple-ish tone in your hair. Also, a level 8 is a shade darker than the 9 you are used to using. The darker shades of color tend to have a higher concentrate of color, meaning your chances that it contains more of the blue or purple undertones than the level 9. Finally, the only true way to get multi-tonal color is to see a professional hairstylist who can provide you with highlights and lowlights. However, since you say you are not 100% gray, you may get different tones on the gray than you do on your regularly colored hair. If you still wish to do the at home color and trying the level 8 ash, I recommend at least doing a strand test. Take about a 1 inch section of your hair (where it is gray, maybe including some of your natural color) from the back or side of your head where it is not seen regularly. Apply color on this strand alone and process the full time. If you like the result, you can most likely continue to apply to the rest of the head safely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What color should I dye my hair if its blond? [ 3 Answers ]

Im thimking of dyeing my hair but I don't know what color?

I'm trying to bleach my hair. How safe is the product super blond by loreal? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to bleach my hair. How safe is super blond by loreal?

Used a medium golden blonde color, now have drabbed out grey-ish hair [ 2 Answers ]

My hair has always been dyed/bleached a light but not platinum blonde. This morning, I used Loreal's Natural Match in 8W, Medium Golden Blonde, in order to warm my light blonde color. I have done this before with different products and always had great success, mkost recently with that new 10...

Stopping hair color - letting grey grow in [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I am a very dark brown haired female (almost black) with long hair and I would like to stop dying my hair. What are some ideas of the best (most efficient and least painful aesthetically) way to go about this without cutting my hair? Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you for...

View more questions Search