Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arpad17 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 04:31 AM
    Tax treaty multiple times?
    I am a visiting professor from Hungary. I was in the USA working as a postddoc at UNC Chapel Hill from 2002-2005. During this period I was tax exempt based on the Treaty Article 17 for 2 years. Then I returned to Hungary for the next 5 years, and in 2010 I did a short research program (50 days), same institution, as a visiting professor, also with a J1 visa. Can I claim again the tax treaty benefits for this income?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 01:36 AM

No, you do not get treaty benefit again.
    arpad17 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2011, 04:08 AM
    This is what I thought, by the way. However, there is clear statements in other treaties (e.g. the Slovak one) which says that treaty benefits can be used only once in a lifetime. Thus, theoretically, there must be an option or condition or treaty when using the treaty benefits a subsequent time is available, isn't it? The Hungarian doesn't clearly restrict that. So, theoretically using the benefits multiple times is not a violation of the tax treaty. This is not clear from the actual text of the treaty.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Mar 16, 2011, 07:38 AM
    @arapd17:
    There is a rule called the 6 year look back rule. You cannot get another exemption, if you were exempt 2 out of the last 6 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flushes multiple times with one press [ 11 Answers ]

Thanks for any help that can be given... Whenever I press the flush lever on my toilet the toilet will flush, the bowl will fill and drain, and then the bowl will fill and drain another 2 more times before the tank begins to fill. So in effect my toilet flushes 3 times for every one time I press...

Re-establishing residency and claiming treaty benefits multiple times [ 3 Answers ]

In 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 I did summer internships at US universities (F-1 student), no longer than 10 weeks each. In 2004, 2005, 2006 I Received a fellowship or wages from a given school and I filed tax Returns for those years, each time claiming Tax Treaty benefits on the Grounds of Article...

Washer leaks if I use it multiple times in a row [ 0 Answers ]

I noticed water around my washer if I use it three times in a row (never tried more than that). It seems to come from the bottom on the right hand side of the machine because I could feel moisture and something "slimy" (soap?) when I touch it with my hand. If I use it once or twice I don't...

How to get social securtiy tax and medicare tax back (J-1, sign tax treaty)? [ 1 Answers ]

I hold J-1 visa and am a researcher from China, and sign the tax treaty form. I can file tax forms to get federal and state fax back. But there are social securtiy tax withheld and medicare tax withheld over 1000 USD in total. Do I need to pay that or can I get them back and how? Thank you so...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

View more questions Search