Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 05:51 PM
    Knitting 101, and crocheting too.
    Hi all.

I'm at the end of my rope, or yarn as the case may be.

My daughter wants to learn to knit. I've been knitting since I was five, learned to crochet before that. The problem is, I don't know how to teach her. I can tell her what to do, I can show her what to do, but I can't direct her.

Does anyone have any tips? I'm frustrated, she's frustrated, and I've learned something very important. I am a terrible teacher.

We decided to start with crocheting (the knitting wasn't going so well) because it's a bit easier (at least the way I was taught) but that's not going so well either.

Sydney is a lot like me. If she doesn't catch on instantly she gets frustrated and loses interest. I want to make this fun for her. At this point I think both of us want to stab someone with the knitting needles. ;)

Anyone? Is there a book about crocheting and knitting for dummies? ;)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2011, 06:13 PM

I've got a couple books, but none that I would recommend for beginners. I've been knitting for a few years and still get stuck with my books! When I get stuck though, I've found a lot of really easy step by step instructions through Google. I end up at about.com the most. And if that doesn't work, I can usually find a good YouTube video.

My grandma taught me to knit, and at first I was so bad she thought I'd never get it. Then I finally did and know I have to help my aunt re-learn sometimes. When I'm showing her things, since I'm terrible at explaining in clear terms, I do the motions super slowly while I stumble through "and then you pull this end that way...and...uhh...this..." haha
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 06:17 PM

LOL! That's how I feel too Justcurious.

Knitting is all about feel. Yes, you need to know the basics, but once you start, you have to feel what to do. Syd isn't feeling it. Her fingers are stiff, she doesn't seem to understand that she needs to help the knitting needles go through the loop, she needs to use her left hand to help things along.

I really am at the end of my yarn.

I hope she doesn't give up. I hope I don't give up. ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2011, 06:28 PM

YouTube - CAST ON - SLOW VERSION

YouTube - HOW TO KNIT: THE KNIT STITCH VIDEO

This lady seems great. And she repeats herself a lot. Usually I have to go back and replay the video ten times before I get it. But she just keeps showing the same thing over and over
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 06:55 PM

Here are even more instructions.

Knitting Instructions: Learn To Knit

This too with videos.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/redire...inghelp.com%2F
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 10:10 PM

Well we spent the last few hours learning to crochet. My hands hurt, and my head.

She's getting it though.

If she masters that knitting should be easy.

I'll get her to watch the videos. Thanks all. :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2011, 10:12 PM

Yay! I've never been able to get the hang of crocheting. Maybe that's what I should have learned first
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 10:40 PM

It's a lot easier then knitting, that's for sure.

I learned to crochet before I learned to knit. Made learning to knit a lot easier because you hold the yarn the same way, just using one needle, and it has a hook which makes it much easier for little people. :)

At one point my mom had so many doilies (sp?) on her tables that she asked me to stop crocheting. That's when I started knitting. :)
    weatherlady Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2014, 05:35 PM
    Some stores also have beginners kits with some material, tools, instructions, etc for a low price. These can also be purchased through craft stores on and off-line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just knitting [ 2 Answers ]

Just Knitting A policeman was patrolling a local parking spot overlooking a golf course. He drove by a car and saw a couple inside with the dome light on. There was a young man in the driver's seat reading a computer magazine and a young lady in the back seat knitting. He stopped to investigate....

Crocheting tool [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me what the crocheting tool I have it has 2 metal bars and a yellow plastic bar that keeps the metal bars apart I use to use it back in the 70's and can not remember how to use it can you send directions on this I have ask at the fabric stores but know one has heard of this can you...

Crocheting for Dummies [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know of a site that puts crochet instructions in layman's terms. I know how to crochet, I just don't know how to read the directions..

View more questions Search