Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j_p_w Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 01:38 PM
    Boiler heats, but no hot water coming from the tap.
    Hi, I have an old type immersion heater/boiler (some relic from the 1980's). It heats up water, the radiators fill with hot water fine, and maintain heat, but, I have no hot water running through the hot water pipes, leading to the taps, and no hot water coming out of the taps.

Can anyone please help with a suggestion why this is and a solution?

Many thanks in advance,

J
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 8, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Relic? LOL. My first three homes had 50+ year old boilers. There's nothing wrong with a big old cast iron boiler as long as the liner is OK and the burner is new enough and working.
    They all had tankless off the boiler, and my 25 yr old present one is also wearing out in that hot water can't flow fast enough for a strong shower. But I don't fix them because once they are old enough, they have so many mineral deposits in them that even pouring de-mineralizer into them doesn't work.
    So... I replace them, preferably with a modern wall-mount tankless, either gas or electric.

But if your hot water suddenly stopped, then plumbing experts will be here with a fix more applicable to your situation. I don't know if a clump of deposits can totally and suddenly stop hot water or not.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2011, 07:55 AM

Hi guys...

Does water flow through the pipes or not? Let me know.

For now, like Joypulv, I'll assume that water isn't flowing and something is plugged up, OK?

To find what is plugged you need to start at the cold water feed into the tankless coil. Turn the shutoff on/off and see if that dislodged anything.

Next, would be to check the drain at the tankless coil (if present) and see if you can get a large volume of water to flow from the drain. If water flows, the next place to check will be the mixing valve, but be clear that cold water also flows into this valve so you will want to shut the cold water and disassemble the mixing valve to check for a clog in the hot water inlet.

If water is at the shutoff but not at the mixing valve then as Joypulv said, it could be a clogged tankless coil, but it is pretty rare for a tankless coil to plug entirely.

If you continue to check things in this manner you should discover the issue... ;)

Finally, if you do have water flowing but it isn't hot then you will want to check the AQUASTAT connections at the aquastat and at the boiler connections.

Let us know more about your issue, OK?

Mark

Mar 9, 2011, 10:53 AM
    Thanks for the speedy response!

@ joypulv - And I thought my boiler was old LOL.

@ Mark - I do have cold water (about room temperature) running through all the hot water taps, so I don't think there's a blockage. When you say "check the AQUASTAT connections at the aquastat and at the boiler connections", I've not got a clue where and what these are.

I had a new electric powered pump fitted to the tank about 14 months ago, the rest of the system is run off gas. I live in a ground floor apartment block, which was renovated in the mid 80's, so, as far as I know this system only supplies hot water to my property.

Can't think what else to tell you about it!

Regards

J
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2011, 01:24 PM

Sounds like an everhot hot water storage tank... see image. Do you have something like that?

If so, you need to start by looking at the electrical power to the system.

Start at the electric panel and check the breaker for power. Then, if there is an electrical switch at the storage tank check for power there. Then check for power at the pump and the thermostat (aquastat... see other image). If all checks out then you may have a defective pump again...

If you are unclear on how to proceed to test for electrical here, call a plumber or an electrician to resolve this for you, OK?

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Mar 10, 2011, 08:05 AM
    I've just looked at the aquastat, and found no loose connection in the wiring, but, I've tightened a screw on the rear face of the aquastat, which is attached to a metal type click switch.
    This switch is now in a fixed position, and as if by magic, I now have hot water... YAY!
    I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do, but, it seems to have worked!
    Have I done anything detrimental to it? :-/

Thanks

J
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 07:09 PM

All sounds OK here... may have been a loose wire is all... maybe? Keep an eye on things for awhile. With any luck, it was just a loose connection...

Good luck!

Mark

Mar 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
    Will do... Thank you so much for all your help...

Regards

J

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

Hot water coming from cold side tap even though hot water supply shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I been having problem for past year now hot water comes from the cold side tap, I only have 1 tap that shares water hot and cold the other 2 I have are 2 separate hot cold and 2 are just cold taps now I have even shut the cold water supply to the hot water tank off, but yet when I run the...

No hot water coming from kitchen mixer tap but there is cold water coming out. [ 3 Answers ]

It is -13c outside not sure if that has anything to do with my problem. This morning I turned on the hot water tap and nothing. Turned on the cold got some. It's a reasonably new mixer tap. The central heating has been on all night, the shower is working and so too is the downstairs WC hot water...

I have only luke warm water coming through my hot bath tap and sink tap [ 0 Answers ]

Hello I am suddenly only getting luke warm water coming through the hot taps in my bathroom. All other rooms are fine. I have a bungalow with two bathrooms a kitchen and a utility room. The system is run off a LPG combi boiler.

Combination Boiler - No water coming out of hot tap. [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, We've just had a leak in the mains pipe that supplies water to our property. It has been fixed although the water pressure is quite low at the minute (water supply came back 'on' about half an hour ago). My problem now is that although I can get cold water - even though it's not...

View more questions Search