Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ivanh Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2011, 10:30 AM
    Website seo hell
    I started a website called phonegetters.com. My search rank is over 6 million, while my competitor's rankings are 200,000 +/-. Compare with wheresmycellphone.com or icantfindmyphone.com. I know I'm a novice, but I think that's a little ridiculous when you consider that there are not many websites offering this free service. IT'S A SHAME! I have a basically free service that I can't even give it away!

I suspect that I'm doing something very wrong from an SEO point-of-view. Very wrong! I guess I don't even have a clue, but I'm sure it's related to link building.
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Mar 8, 2011, 10:51 AM
    Here are some tips to understand what Google is doing:
    1) Google cares about how your site is perceived by others on the web. So you are right, link building is very important. But be careful with which sites link to your service. If you engage in buying links and just putting your site up in weird places, that's not going to work. Instead, try to build partnerships and relationships with related services that might be willing to link back to your service.
    2) Look at how Google too your search term "call my cell phone" and pointed it "where's my cell phone" - OK - this is useful information. Since you are specifically helping people find their phone - you need to put that text in there.
    3) Rankings will take time and you need to be patient. But persistence is key!

There are several great resources that help you get a handle on SEO. Keep posting your progress here as I think several other members are interested.

Good luck and hope things work out for you.
    needsadvicenow Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2011, 09:17 PM
    You don't mention how long ago you created your site and what, if anything, you have done to optimize your website for search engines.
    I suggest picking up a good SEO book such as the Art of SEO or go to a good site such as SEObook.com and learn more about the things Google and other search engines consider when it comes to rankings, how to properly build links and how you can improve yours. Seobook.com also offers a free toolbar with all kinds of tools for SEO info on your site and comparing with your competitors.
    It takes time, patience, and a lot of work but you can improve your websites rankings. I wish you the best!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search