Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fmcmullen Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 03:51 AM
    Horse bucks and counter canters
    12 y/o rescue mare, back to work, seems healthy but every time we ask her to canter she bucks. I have been watching her on lunge line, beautiful even trot, even extended, but when asked to break into the canter she will buck, or will counter canter. Good lead in front, but wrong lead in back or constantly changing leads in back at every 3 or 4th stride. Anyone have this issue? Time for chiropractor or does someone have experience with this issue, and found a possible answer without that large vet bill! (ps, we really don't know if she was every properly broke or broke at all)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 04:44 AM

Do you lunge her in full tack? Sounds to me like you could be right, she was never fully broke in the first place. If you aren't lunging her in full tack, try that, but if she was never fully broke it won't make any difference. I think you are into a catch 22 here.

Tick

Mar 8, 2011, 04:51 AM
    Yes I do... lunge her in full tack. I have tried larger circles thinking she may be off balance, but it does not seem to matter... I Think maybe she was never fully broke, she is a great mare but seems confused a lot.. that may just be the issue.. so willing, but a bit nervous. I go to saddle her and she immediately relieves herself. She has had it rough, and I just don't want to make things any more confusing for her. We have put so much into her already, to me, if she is just green broke she will just need time, but if she is sore, I don't want to hurt her any more by putting that time on her... I am in a quandary, with not much left in the wallet :)

Mar 8, 2011, 04:59 AM
    Oops first time user, think I put my response in wrong area!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 05:45 AM

No you did good. We discourage the comments feature; it isn't a really true post if done there. You obviously know what your are doing so I won't say check her hooves. How long has this been going on with her. Did you just start working with her, gained her trust first, etc. You know that its kind of hard to give advice on this type of question when there is an animal involved without seeing first hand what is really going on with them. I am sorry I can't help you more, even if I did help in any way.

My last horse had been off the track in Detroit, and abused after in that he was not fed properly or cared for, was kind skinny, liver bay, l7 hh; he was a handful at first until he trusted me.

Tick

Mar 8, 2011, 08:08 AM
    I appreciate any advise. She was purchased last April, so apx 1 year.. I think I will have someone come out that has more experience than I to have a look see. Everyone that has seen her, has the same amount of experience as I do! Thank you for your time, I will keep you posted!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2011, 09:19 AM

My horse use to do that. Any time she went from a trot to a canter, she would crow hop a little.

Pretty much, hold on tight and ride through it. You can correct her by taking the ends of your reins and wacking her on the but when she decides to do it.

Also, might want to check and see that she doesn't have any back problems. Sometimes when the saddles don't fit right on their back, when you ask for gait changes, they will act up.
    Cowgirl96 Posts: 53, Reputation: 7

Apr 7, 2011, 09:38 AM
    Ok I'm not a horse trainer but I have horses and ride spirited horses under intruckshion of a trainer. When you say bucking is it like a little kick of one hind leg, is it both hind legs off the ground? Or is all four feet off the ground like a bronc? If it's just crow hopping it's a sign off lack of disrespect or over freshness. So try lungeing her more it will help with both causes. Also when she crowhops under saddle pop her with your crop ( if she has been crop trained if not it will scear her) on both sides of her rump if she hops again do it again till you get the last word. This is just a sign of your not talaraiting her disobedience so you don't have to pop hard just so she fills it. You should never leave a mark from a crop. If she's bucking like a bronc or just Its I love you sister day! In 60mins something will make you super happy but you got to tell 10sisters you love them blood or not! I better get 1bck Live Laugh Lovereally hard (you have a hard time staying in the saddle) this will not help you. When it comes to cross cantering the only things I know to help would be have her feet checked in case there is a prob with them. You may also try making larger circles in case it a lack of valence with a rider on her back (she may have not been broke well or ridin regular) also she may be doing this trying to unseat you try a smaller curcile it will make her step more carefully. Hope this helps best of luck!
    Cowgirl96 Posts: 53, Reputation: 7

Apr 7, 2011, 09:40 AM
    I very sorry I did not mean to do that I most have hit maste I'm using an iPod very sorry
    megs2245 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 05:31 AM
    Well do you do western or English riding if you do western no offence but try with English riding it is much more calmer and easier for the horse and what is your horses name again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie about a horse who jump into water. Girl horse jumper goes lind but still jumps [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a movie where a young girl learns to jump a horse from up high into a tank of water. The girl ends up losing her sight and can't jump any more. But determined she learns to jump again with the help of a friend. What is the name of this movie?

Go Bucks! [ 9 Answers ]

We Bucks fans are serious :p Go Bucks, Beat LSU!!

Go Bucks, Beat Michigan! [ 8 Answers ]

Zv0_EpF5SyY X4-JXj4muas Gl2s8_SPMTw XGH72EZiSXw X3vQn3SjnuI Ha6roJfoGjc

Briggs 18 hp bucks starting [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Briggs 18hp on a Craftsman Lawn Tractor that runs great except for one thing. When starting when cold, it almost seems like the battery is weak. It has been like this since new and is much worse in cold weather. When you turn the key, the engine seems to be under compression and won't...

View more questions Search