Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Star0916 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 08:58 PM
    I'm in a toxic household, what do I do?
    For about 5 years now, my dad has been the most awful person I've ever known. He's misogynistic, racist, judgmental, a hypocrite, stubborn, will never admit he's wrong, blames all his shortcomings on others and I'm pretty sure he's a hypochondriac. He's always tearing me down and not only has he threatened me physically then and again, but he's also threatened to put me up for adoption, to throw me out onto the streets and is always telling me that I'm going to be the cause of his death. Because we've moved around so much, for monetary and political reasons, I don't have great friends that I could go live with. I'm always putting on this brave exterior but I'm beginning to snap. I haven't cut just yet but I have started making scratches that break the skin somewhat. I'm finally going insane and my mom just tells me to stop talking back and calling me stupid for standing up to him and not letting him insult me. I live in Canada, I'm 15 turning 16 in July and I don't currently have a job. My mom doesn't take me seriously when I say that I need a psychiatrist and my dad would flip if I tried to tell him that he needs one. What do I do? I can't see any way out of this, help me...
    Soccerlove123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2011, 02:29 PM
    Wow, well my advice to you is talk to a teacher at school. I know when things got bad like that at my house, I couldn't take it so I went to the office and talked to a teacher about it. Depending on the situation they could talk to your parents.. or if your dad ever ends up physically abusing you, they could talk to a program for those who need/should get sent to a foster home. It might not sound like a good idea.. to me it sounded rather scary, but its not healthy living with parents who treat you that way. If that doesn't work, or you don't like that.. I would just help out as much as I could. Maybe your dad or mom is worried about something, and you don't know. Maybe they are fine. Just help out, don't argue and snap back it really doesn't help! I would really recommend talking to a teacher or someone older who could help out. Also if its hard to stay at home and you feel like you don't have good friends, well join a school club! Play sports, join groups, it the best way to meet new people!! Don't worry if your not athletic or you can't sing or whatever club you want to join. Those who will be and are your friends Won't JUDGE YOU! (: Stay strong I hope everything goes better(:
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2011, 05:11 AM
    Once you begin cutting it will be a VERY long time before you find ways to quit,, it's an addiction like any other,please consider the future you.What will MR. Right think about scars all over you?Just sayin'

At this point I would concentrate on you,not him.

He will do as he will do, that's his side of the street you don't need to walk on.

Your side has what?Unexpressed anxiety,frustration,no real personal outlets.

Perhaps an online friendship would have to suffice for the time being?There are a few of us on this site that actually care about the wounds others feel(as we ourselves have been there)

You can't see a way out because you haven't been shown any ways to deal with this in any therapeutic way.

This step starts with your actions,not your parents.(or any of us)

Start with the most common place you are during the week(school)The school counselors have degrees(at least here they do)and can offer you suggestions,it's up to you to accept their help or not.

Once you have established a relationship with a counselor,get back on here and we can all discuss what your actions can be, work with you on making the right decisions instead of just feeling that you are alone because your not.

Hope you read this soon and try what I am suggesting.

Ken
    askmehelpdesk_b Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 11:29 AM
    I am so sorry about your situation.. all I can tell you is to be humble. I would tell you that you are doing the right thing by standing up to him but remember that you are young and I don't want you to get hurt. Don't give in to the pressure, stick it out as long as you can, this seems like a mental thing for your dad. And about your mom, she is probably lost and feels trapped with him and is scared to get out or doesn't know how to get out. When you can get a job and save up your money really good and mabe you can make some arrangements to get out safely. But for now just be humble. Being humble sounds really stupid and it is hard but ut pays off in the end. Be safe!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toxic Ingredients? [ 3 Answers ]

I was looking at the cosmetics database for a listing of toxic ingredients today and hydroquinone got a hazard rating of the highest which was a 10! Whereas kojic acid got a hazard rating of 1?

Toxic parents [ 6 Answers ]

I have removed myself and my family from a very emotionally and verbally abusive relationship with my Dad. It was a discision I didn't take lightly. Here is my question. Why is it when I will not go somewhere where I think he may be, my mom accuses me of being selfish, uncaring, etc etc. I won't...

Toxic shame [ 13 Answers ]

What do you know about Toxic shame? This is a little I have read about it,how does this affect what we do as addicts? Addicts often carry a lot of shame which should not be theirs. Dealing with shame and absolving oneself of blame are important steps. When a child grows up with people who...

ABS Pipe Toxic [ 2 Answers ]

Does ABS pipe give off a toxic oily residue? I have a fish pond and each year for the past two years my fish have died. The only difference during the past two years from previous years is my having replaced the PCV pipe within the pond with ABS pipe because ABS piping is black and is not visible...

Toxic chemicals and pets [ 4 Answers ]

Recently my wife sprayed her hair with Aqua Net unsented hair spray extra super hold. She was unaware that our dog was in the bathroom with her. The spray got into the dogs nose and it started caughing and gaging. Within 10 minutes the dog started seizing and convulsing. The spray contains the...

View more questions Search