Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waynejc Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Shower Drain
    1. How do you remove a shower /tub enclosure. It's a stock fiberglass tub enclosure that you see at any Lowe's / Home Depot warehouse. I'm concerned about removing the enclosure around the drain and the faucet/showerhead area.

2. I want to build a tile (shower only) enclosure in the space. Can the drain, which is located by the wall below the faucet/showerhead area be used as the drain area for the shower only or do I have to move the drain to the center of shower floor base.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 01:49 PM
    If you are going to toss it all away, you can remove the handles and escutcheons and then cut through the fiberglass around the faucet area. The drain screen probably screws into a removeable fitting, using a drain wrench. You'll have to cut the drywall back a couple of inches to find the nail flange. You can leave the original drain IF you can properly slope the floor to the drain. Is this slab or frame construction? How about a fiberglass/composite drain pan and tile walls? Pans have right, left and center drains.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Mar 9, 2011, 03:21 AM
    I removed the shower handle,face plate,and spout leaving the cartridge in place in the off position. You will have to solder copper pipe to move the shower valve to a higher position. Use a pair of pliers with the handles inserted in the drain and turn with a crescent wrench.
    I cut the surround ound with a dewalt rotary cutter using a ceramic tile cutting bit. Set the depth to the width of the drywall and follow the edge of the surround to expose the flange. You can cut around the nails and then pop them loose with a screwdriver and remove with a hammer. Cut the rest of the surround into small pieces for easy removal. The bottom is the hardest since there may be boards glued to the base.
    I ordered my swanstone retrofit base through Home Depot for $155.00.
    It's a lot of work.
    Here are some pictures:
    http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Bathrooms/Pattys-Bathroom-Remodel/detail.esi?oid=539170

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I have to connect a 2inch shower drain to existing 1.5 inch drain [ 4 Answers ]

I have to connect my new 2 inch shower pan to existing 1.5 inch drain. Should I change the p trap to to inch or leave it 1.5 and increase the pipe to 2 inches at the shower pan opening?

Shower drain leaks. I have poured water down the drain to living room help [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed a tiny hole in my drywall and a water stain on the ceiling and a constant drip from the ceiling, even when the shower is not in use. I did a test by pouring water down the shower drain, and it immediately went through to below. Also, my shower head and leaks constantly. Any help to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search