Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arlissm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 08:33 PM
    Gas water tank won't stay lit and flame is blue, like it is starving for air
    Hi
    Our gas hot water tank made a bang noise last Saturday morning. Later in the day we noticed we had not hot water. My husband turned it off and was going to wait 5 minutes to relight. While waiting it made another bang. We turned off the gas and called a gas fitter person. He came the next day and vacummed (with a compressor) the whole thing out. Our hot water tank sits on a cement floor. He said we have to leave the door off suggested longer screws with washers so air is flowing in from the door. Our friend came later and put in one screw. Next day no hot water. My husband loosened the screw and it worked for a day. He took the screw right out and it worked for 3 days, the flame is blue and we don't want to call the gas fitter again, that already cost us $160. Anyone have any ideas? Does it need to be on legs?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2011, 03:04 PM
    This sounds like a newer sealed combustion water heater.

I've had no luck cleaning the bottom screen with compressed air or a vacuum.

You need to clean the bottom of the screen with a wire brush. As this area under the tank is very limited I had to fabricate my own round wire brush to accomplish this.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The pilot light on our water heater has a blue flame, but will not stay lit... [ 4 Answers ]

The water heater is 15 years old, has had the thermocouple replaced 1x that I know of. My husband tried lighting it, and there was a blue flame while he was holding down the pilot light button but the pilot light won't stay lit... any suggestions? We're in the middle of severe weather (blizzard...

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit flame is blue [ 1 Answers ]

My pilot light will not stay lit on my water heater, the flame is blue. I have had the thermal couple replaced about a year ago. I have brushed the vent under the unit. What could be the problem, the burner ? I have had nothing but problems with this whirlpool product. Please help no hot water!!

Gas Hot Water Heater will not stay lit [ 3 Answers ]

Our gas hot water heater pilot will not stay lit? Any ideas why?

Blue Flame-Pilot will not stay lit-Hot Water Heater [ 7 Answers ]

My pilot light has a crisp blue flame when I light it and stays that color, but it will not stay lit. I have no problem lighting it, and then it takes off, but then it will go out after an hour or so. So, is this the thermocoupler?

Recent installed Propane Hot Water Tank won't stay lit [ 14 Answers ]

I have a State Select water heater. It is about 5 years old. We replaced it 3 years ago with an electric tank and now have decided, I like the propane one better. So we reinstalled the propane water heater. The problem is, the burner will not stay lit. The pilot light is easy to light and ignites...

View more questions Search