Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cali_girl01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Help! I need your advice on my car.
    I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon. It is burning way too much gas. I am wondering what is causing this problem. I only drive two miles to and from work. Two days ago I had a half a tank of gas, now its close to being empty. I haven't driven it anywhere else. What is wrong withmy car?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Several years ago I used a Neon rental car in L.A. I was shocked what poor gas mileage it got--something around 22 mpg. Chevy Cavaliers were not much better.

Here are some basic things to improve mileage:
    1. Change spark plugs
    2. Change air filter
    3. Inflate tires to 34 psi
    4. Add fuel injector cleaner every 6 months (e.g. Shell Regane or Chevron Techron)
    5. Switch to 5W-30 synthetic engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1) and synthetic automatic transmission fluid (e.g. Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF)
    6. Replace oxygen sensor
    7. Hook a scan tool up to the Data Link Connector and see if any codes are being thrown. Many auto part stores will do this for free. It may indicate a bad oxygen sensor or spark plug/coil misfire condition. This is a must, if you suspect something fundamental has changed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Help! Car Rust... Any Advice? [ 8 Answers ]

My \'93 Eagle Summit wagon, only 56,000 km.Have had a few repairs on it. In great shape except for rust in the area above the tires,is this called wheel wells?also near the bottom of the door area. Pieces now starting to break off.(I should not have let it get to this point of rust and taken care...

Help Please! Seeking Advice For Repairing Rust On My Car Please. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1993 Eagle Summit Eagon (mini van) only 55,000 km. Unfortunately, I should have repaired the rust when it began, but I didn't. I am so embaressed driving around like this. There is rust around the area of each wheel (is it called the wheel well?) approximately 4inches of rust at the...

Bought the car need advice ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I bought my 93 civic 100k mile The dealer did not offer free 3 month warranty I want to have more knowledge for maintaince, Any one could giveme advice? Thankd

Car advice [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I put a car in our name for our daughter, she made her payments for about a year and a half. But now she is not and we are. I have explored selling the car but it is not even close to worth what is owed on it and the miles are to high for anyone to get it financed. My question is...

View more questions Search