Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sglos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 03:09 PM
    No deduction from paycheck for Soc. Sec.
    While completing my PHD at Eastern Michigan Univ. I also worked as an assistant professor. I gave lectures, tests and met with clients. During those 4 years Eastern Michigan Univ. did not take any Social Security from my paychecks. They claim that because I was a student they were not required to do that. What can I do to correct this - I still want credit for those 4 years of earnings.

Sg
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 03:49 PM

When you contacted the SS office what did they tell you ?
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Mar 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
    Sorry to say - but universities are not required to pay Social Security/Medicare taxes on wages paid to students who are pursuing a degree at that school. You can refer to Internal Revenue Code Section 3121(b)(10)
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Mar 14, 2011, 05:50 PM
    If your salary was classified as a fellowship/scholarship, you are not required to pay social security/medicare. You need to report the amount of the scholarship on your tax return. If you did not get any papers form the University (which is very common for scholarships), use your last paystub to fill out the tax forms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can n.why. State garnish my soc.sec.retirement checking [ 3 Answers ]

Can N.Y. State garnish soc.sec.retirement checking After 28 years I got a letter from N.Y. saying I owe back income tax from 1983??

Soc. Sec. Disability and Deferred Compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am 59 years old, permanently disabled for one year now and currently receiving monthly Social Security Disability payments, along with monthly payments from two long term private disability policies. My former employer set up a "deferred compensation" program which generally is paid when an...

Garnishment of soc sec or pension in Florida ? [ 2 Answers ]

Can social security or corporate pensions be garnished if the individual is a Florida resident ?

Soc Sec, Back Taxes and marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I owe back taxes that are taken out of my Social Security disability check each month. This is a long story but what I need to know is if I get married does my problem affect spouse in anyway. Just in case - is there anyone out there that would like to hear my story and help me figure out what to...

Nonresident Spouse as Resident & Medicare/Soc. Sec. [ 1 Answers ]

I am a nonresident alien and am deciding whether to find jointly with my US citizen husband for 2007. Medicare and Social Security Tax have not been withheld last year. IRS section titled "Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident" states that: "You may still be treated as a nonresident alien...

View more questions Search