Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Speedball1 >> Dielectric union question
    Have connected a galvanized 3/4" water pipe to a copper fitting inside a wall and wondered how important is it that these are separated by a brass type fitting or union? OK to use a union inside an outside wall?

Thanks,
    Flickit
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Hey Flickit,

If you recall from high school chemistry, two dissimilar (different) metals, when placed in an acidic solution, will create a battery. And one metal will usually erode away as the chemical reaction progresses. The other metal may have a buildup of new material, which may be a chemical combination of the eroded metal and the acid. Since virtually all domestic water is slightly acidic or slightly basic, this electro-galvanic action can occur in any metal plumbing system.

When copper and steel pipes are connected together directly, the "battery" has a path for electrical current to flow. (This current is tiny, and the voltage is not a safety hazard.)

If the current cannot flow, because there is no electrical connection (interrupted by the plastic insulators) then the "battery" never discharges. In theory there will always be a small voltage between the different metals. The metals do not erode.
    In answer to your question it's acceptable to use a union inside a outside wall. Hope this answers your question, Tom

Jan 20, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Thanks, Tom!

I mostly remember sodium and potassium from chemistry and how explosive they are when exposed to water in the school's bathroom! ;)

Flickit
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickit
    Thanks, Tom!

I mostly remember sodium and potassium from chemistry and how explosive they are when exposed to water in the school's bathroom! ;)

Flickit
    Ahhh! The old "cherry bomb" in the toilet trick. Are you saying that you blew up a toilet when you were in school?? Shame on you! We did the same thing in high school in the girls bathroom with a cherry bomb. Made quite a splash! Cheers, Tom

Jan 20, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Ahhh! The old "cherry bomb" in the toilet trick. Are you saying that you blew up a toilet when you were in school??? Shame on you! We did the same thing in high school in the girls bathroom with a cherry bomb. Made quite a splash!! Cheers, Tom

Yes, we did and enjoyed it but the stuff is really dangerous. BTW... we used the men's room. After all, we weren't vandals or hooligans... just experimenters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is brass an alternative to dielectric union?! [ 8 Answers ]

Good morning speedball, I am very clear on the theory of electrolysis and such between dissimiliar metals in solutions. But I have read that one can use brass fittings in leiu of a dielectric device. I find that hard to be true. Brass may have properties which can slightly negate the battery...

Thanks From Speedball1 [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks guys for taking up the slack on the plumbing page while I was recuperating from surgery. What I thought would be a simple biopsy "morphed" into a surgical procedure when they cut out a "precancerous mass" at the base of my tongue. This meant that ALL my food would have to be liquid but...

Union and non-Union works [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Union and non-union works in a Tool and Die industry? :confused:

Yo speedball1 over here [ 3 Answers ]

I just found this site... and nobody has answered my question so since you seem to be incredibly knowledgible or knowledgeable oh hell since you seem to KNOW so much I posted a question in education section on financial aid could you help... Thanks so much and you can write me via email my...

View more questions Search