Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2011, 08:45 AM
    New ferret
    All right, I know some of you are not going to like this post but..

Im getting another ferret this evening, its kind of an emergency situation, the ferret was left in an apartment building when the owner moved out, the owner left the supplies as well as vet records so obviously they wanted to find it a home. The person who owns the apartment is my friends uncle, they both came and asked me if I would take the ferret in since they have no idea what there doing. I talked to my mom and she agreed I could have him. He is UTD on shots/neutered/descented.

Now the question is, I'm pretty sure this ferret has never been with another (and I'm going to go with this to be safe), and according to the records he is 4 years old. Ive read on how to introduce a new ferrets (after a two week quarantine), but it says nothing about an older ferret who has never been with another ferret or answer my questions to well...

If they decided to fight how do I break it up (With Chloe and Tanner I just scooped up Tanner because there is no way he would bite me, but with a new one I don't know that could be different)?

Should he meet Tanner or Chloe first (Chloe is rude to people but nice to Tanner, and Tanner is deaf so he can't hear the ferret scream if he bites to hard but he has learnt Chloes pain tolerance)?

Should I introduce one at a time or all three at once (there would be a few people here to watch them)?

Should he go to a vet first (according to his records he JUST had his shots before the owner abandoned him)?

And last,

Any suggestions on bonding with an older ferret? Im going out to buy a huge bottle of ferretone, but I don't really know what else, Tanner was 5 weeks, and Chloe was like.. 5 months (maybe six)...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 09:46 AM

Hi Emily, good for you for taking him. I am sure it will work out; ferrets are not territorial so I don't see a problem with the fighting issue. There may be some spitting and raising of backs here and there but that is probably all it will amount to. If I were you, I would introduce the new ferret into the group one at a time. He may have a preference for either one (you have two don't you?).

Years ago the ferrets front fangs were removed because they have a biting and locking issue and once in a fight, extremely difficult to remove one or the other from the mêlée. If a fight occurs I would try the old tested and true method of a cold water spray on both of them. It may shock them into going to opposite corners.

Good luck Emily. Let us know how all of this transpires. It should be quite interesting and a learning curve for others.

Tick
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 6, 2011, 09:48 AM
    I don't know about ferrets, but I assume that he was found in a cage? I'd keep him that way, and not introduce him at all for quite a while, and very slowly, moving the cage a little closer after days, and keeping it out of reach of any ferrets who run the house. Make each new decision as you go, little by little.

I don't know of any animal who follows guidelines about getting along with others.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2011, 10:49 AM

Um he can't "be kept that way" ferrets need 4 hours of play a day

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deaf Ferret? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently discovered my little ferret is deaf, we have a ferret who can hear as well. Anyway when my deaf ferret is playing with my other ferret he hurts her. I've read on websites that it is because he can't hear her screaming. Is there anything I can do? Do they need to be separated or can she...

Ferret with Diarrhea. [ 2 Answers ]

This morning I realized my ferret had diarrhea, I've been researching all day but I can't find very much and I'm hoping someone on here can give me advise. -He is eating normally -I haven't changed his food -He hasn't been introduced to anything new -His ferret room mate is doing just fine...

Getting a ferret. [ 9 Answers ]

I am looking into getting a ferret, I've always wanted one and think they would make an interesting pet. I'm just wondering what do you guys think? What are some pros and cons? What do you NEED to have? What would be some things ferrets WANT? It would be in a three or four level cage (Not to sure...

Getting a new ferret. [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I am 14 and I am going to be getting a job this march. My mom said I could either get a ferret or a cat, I think I'm going to get the ferret just because they seem so much more fun. But I am wondering what the basic's ill need? And the size of cage?. also I have a female rabbit, and I was...

Feisty Ferret [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baby ferret (kit) and I am having a hardest time potty training him. I have tried a few things. I put his "stuff" in the litter box and will still use the restroom in other parts of his cage. I also moved his litter box to where he was using the restroom the most and he'll go somewhere...

View more questions Search