Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottldbaxter Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2011, 08:51 PM
    Does a will stating a persons name and their heirs give the heirs any legal rights
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 08:59 PM

Legal rights to do what?

Mar 4, 2011, 09:07 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    The deed names a person and says "and their heirs". Does that give the named persons heirs any legal rights to the property or protect the named persons heirs from said person being able to sell said property without their consent... thank you for answering
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 09:15 PM

First you said "will." Now you say "deed." Which is it? (They are two entirely different documents.)

Mar 4, 2011, 09:25 PM
    Ok let me explain a friends grandmother passed away leaving his mother and her heirs some land in her will. The deed to the land now states his mothers name and her heirs on it .The deed is worded exactly as was the will. I'm just wondering what legal rights the heirs have to the land . Sorry for the confusion .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 09:30 PM

Is your friend one of the named heirs?

Exactly the same people are named in the will as are on the deed?

Mar 4, 2011, 09:37 PM
    The heirs are not named it just states the mothers name and say's "and her heirs" the mother has four grown children which would be her heirs... The grandmother passed away before the two youngest were born and that is supposedly the reason it was worded "and her heirs" there was no way she could know how many children her daughter would have
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 5, 2011, 04:36 AM
    What state?

Mar 5, 2011, 05:06 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Alabama
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2011, 05:58 AM

First, please don't use the Comments feature for follow-up questions or info. Use the Answer options at the bottom of the page.

The will is moot here. This is a very fine point. If the deed has been recorded as Jane Smith and her heirs, I would think the heirs would not have to be consulted on a sale. Legally a heir is someone entitled to inherit from a person. Inheritance does not occur until the testator is deceased. Ergo, it could be argued that no heir exists until the primary is deceased.

I would definitely consult with an attorney familiar with AL's estate laws. Because this is a very fine point and is more likely covered by case law than statute.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 5, 2011, 06:57 AM
    I agree about the meaning of heir. Until your friend's mother's will is read after her death (and she could change it with her last breath), there are no heirs. And she can make anyone her heir, even non relatives, and taxes and liens get paid first. Or she can die without a will, in which case state law determines who inherits.

So I don't see how your friend has any 'rights' to the property, and she can do what she wants with it.

Mar 5, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Thank you for your response

Mar 5, 2011, 08:19 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Thank you for your response
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 5, 2011, 02:13 PM
    The phrase "and her heirs" is just something some lawyers throw in out of habit. It was originally done that way for reasons that are lost to antiquity and lawyers commonly do thing "the way it's always been done" without knowing why.

It means that the property has been conveyed to the grantee absolutely, including not only for life, but down through the generations. The phrase to describe this form of land ownership is "fee simple absolute". If the person who has received the property wants to, however, he or she can sell it to someone else entirely and, if so, there is nothing left for the heirs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Consent of legal heirs for purchase of flat from nominee [ 2 Answers ]

If I purchase a resale flat in a society from the nominee after death of the owner who has died without making any will, whether consent of other legal heirs of the family is necessary ? What are the pros and cons if consent of others is not taken and an affidavit from nominee owner is taken.

Short Sale rights for heirs [ 3 Answers ]

One two

I need the correct method to transfer a lineal heirs rights and claim to an estate. [ 1 Answers ]

I need the correct method to transfer a lineal heirs rights and claim to an estate in Oklahoma to myself. The heir is my Brother and he has stated that he wishes to "sign the papers" to relinquish any and all claim to our Mothers estate. I would appreciate any and all assistance, Thank you.

Who are the heirs [ 7 Answers ]

The will states, "Sell the house and divide it amongst the kids". There are 5 kids. One of the kids has passed away since the will was written. His widow is still alive and 2 of their 3 kids. 1/5 of the estate should go to whom? The deceased kids widow only. His two kids and to the widow of the...

View more questions Search