Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susus Posts: 138, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2011, 08:47 AM
    charges question
    Two charges, Q1= 3.60 μC, and Q2= 6.40 μC are located at points (0,-3.00 cm ) and (0,+3.00 cm), as shown in the figure.
    What is the magnitude of the electric field at point P, located at (4.50 cm, 0), due to Q1 alone?
    so I got 1.11×107 N/C which is right

now ,
    What is the x-component of the total electric field at P?
    here what I did
    E2= KQ2/(L^2)
    and then :
    cos alpha = x2/l
    alpha = 56.309
    then Epx = (E1x)*sin alpha +(E2x)*sin alpha

my final answer was 9.2335*10^-6 N/C
    but it did not work out with me :(

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 09:21 AM

The x component of the electric field due to charge Q1 is indeed 9.22 x 10^6 N/C. But you need to add the component due to charge Q2. You should be using an equation like this:

susus Posts: 138, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    OK , but, what is (alpha1, and what is alpha2)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 12:06 PM

Aplha1 and alpha2 are the angles at point P between the horizontal and the charges Q1 and Q2 respectively. It's arccos(3.5/d), or about 33.7 degrees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Management Accounts Question: Variance Question? [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'm having. The Q is as follows; McCauleys Ltd uses a standard costing system and has produced the following production information for the month of June 2010. Standard Actual Sales (units) 10,000 10,000 Sales price per unit £30 £32...

Pregnancy question 14 dpo question about symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

Im 14 days dpo and have been having twinges and fluttering in my uterus. I had sex a couple of days before I ovulated and while I was ovulating. Could I be pregnant?

Can old evidence be used for new charges when the original charges were dismissed [ 5 Answers ]

Charges were dismissed because evidence for the charges was false. Can new charges alleging a different related crime be filed using the old evidence?

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

View more questions Search