Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mechatronix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 09:38 PM
    F1 to Green Card (DV lottery winner)
    Hello,

I am a former F1 visa holder (from May 2006 -Sep 2006), left the US on September for a brief trip home to process the Green card (won DV lottery). Re-entered US with the green card on September 2006. Lived in California from May 2006 onwards except for a brief trip.
    I understand that I must file as a resident because of my Green card holding status. Which forms should I file? I earned no income (neither in the US nor in my home country) during 2006 as I was studying the whole year.

Thanks for your help :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2007, 07:17 AM
    You file either Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ if you have a requirement to file a tax return.

However, if you have no income or your income is less than $8,450, you have no requirement to file. If money has been withheld for some reason, you should file to recover it.
    mechatronix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 11:03 PM
    Thanks ATE! I only had Interest income from a savings account. I'm thinking of filing to be on good terms with the IRS and the naturalization process even though the interest income is negligible.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Do not bother. If you file, the IRS will just send you a notice that says you do not have to file.

Believe me, the IRS has enough work to keep them busy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to give up Green Card [ 2 Answers ]

I am a green card holder and I read that to leave US and give up my green card I have to fill and submit Form I-407. I logged on uscis.gov website and there is no form I-407. What is the form to file? Thanks for info. Paul

Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I have applied for my renewal green card 10 years exp 11/13/06. I have not rec'd it yet but will travel outside country and return 11/10/06 3 days before exp date. My passport up to date. Is this OK?

Marrige for Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know I've applied for immigration petion through my brother who is a citizen but I am engaged to get married to a US citizen also. Here is my ? If I get married will it afect the application that is ongoing with my brother?

View more questions Search