Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2011, 03:44 AM
    Ovarian cysts
    So, I ended up in the ER tonight because of severe abdominal pain that kept getting worse even after taking advil. They ran a bunch of tests and did an ultrasound and said that I have an ovarian cyst causing the pain. It's not hurting as much now and they gave me stronger meds in case it does again and a referral to a gynecologist. I am going to call tomorrow and set up an appointment.

What I'm wondering is if there's anything I should know before I go in. They kept asking tonight if I had any questions but I don't really know enough about cysts to even know what to ask.

I googled it and found this: Ovarian cysts - PubMed Health
    Is there anything more to it that I should know before seeing the doctor?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2011, 08:09 AM

Basically, they are scary painful, but not something to be scared of. I've had a couple of ovarian cysts at different times, both of which presented like acute appendicitis. In both cases, they burst on their own on the way to the operating table, so I never had to get them removed.

Interestingly, as soon as I know they were not going to kill me, the pain was much easier to cope with.

Try not to worry.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2011, 09:58 AM

Thank you. They said it looked like it had already ruptured. They way they were talking last night I thought that was why the pain had gotten so bad, but I guess maybe that's actually why I was starting to feel better by the time they told me what it was.

I feel better about it now, knowing your experience. Thank you for sharing. :)
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2011, 10:49 AM

That sounds right. Mine burst and I had the most horrendous period type pain and bleed, and then it all went away and I went home the next day, complaining bitterly about hospital food.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ovarian Cysts? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sharp pain in my lower left abdomen/back. I also am a week late on my period. I am sexually active but am ALWAYS protected. I am just worried that I haven't gotten my period. Is it possible that I have an ovarian cyst?

Ovarian Cysts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I suffer from ovarian cysts... there are days I can't even get out of bed because the pain is so bad. What are some at home remedies I could do to help ease the pain?

Painful ovarian cysts [ 1 Answers ]

I am a thirty year old female who has been having pelvic pain since September 2006 I went to two doctors before christmas one said I had an enlarged ovary and sent me for an external ultrasound which found nothing and the second doctor said the same thing I was tested for std's infections etc all...

View more questions Search