Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    7up Posts: 180, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 04:40 AM
    I built a small gas furnace to melt copper,but I close the lid the flame goes out.
    The furnace is built with fire bricks so copper can be melted down and cast,but when the lid is closed the flame goes out.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 3, 2011, 05:15 AM

You need an in draft to keep the fire going. When you close the lid, you cut off the oxygen supply that keeps the fire going. In other words you need 'dampers'.
    Tick
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 3, 2011, 10:04 AM

7, you don't need a blower, just a good up draft, or side draft. It has to be the kind of draft you can control, like a damper in a fireplace insert. Go take a look at one in a store where they sell them.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace - no flame [ 4 Answers ]

Hope someone out there can help, because it's going to get cold this weekend! I have a split HVAC unit with furnace in attic. Written on front of unit is Intertherm. Inside panel of unit says Nordyne, and the Ignition Control is Robert Shaw. The unit is 13 years old and the heat worked fine...

Gas furnace, fan works, but no flame [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace. House is 55 degrees. Thermostat is set at 80 degrees, switch on furnace is in on position and fan/blower works, Gas is present in hot water heater 24": away on same line and stove works in kitchen. Breakers are OK. Furnace does not light. No gas smell. Help!! ...

Furnace blower will not stop after flame goes out on gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace blower will not stop after flame goes out on a gas furnace

Gas furnace, intermitant flame [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Day &Night gas furnace and the gas flame will stay on for a few seconds and then shut off for several seconds. The pilot stays lit and the thermostat calls for heat. The blower continues running as the flame cycles. Any idea where to start trouble shooting? Thanks for any help, Greg

If I solder a small copper fitting will the heat melt the existing joints? [ 2 Answers ]

I am new to soldering and am wondering if I solder to a fitting with an existing soldered joint will the heat re-melt the solder in the first joint?

View more questions Search