Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kssk2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2011, 12:42 PM
    Which name to use - maiden name or new last name?
    Hi,
    We got married in 2010 and my wife resigned and moved from IL to CA in Sept 2010. She changed her last name with SSN office in Nov 2010, but she forgot to tell her ex-employer. They issued the W2 with her old last name. So what name do we use for filing - her old last name or new last name. As of Nov 2010, the SSN office has her new last name.

Thanks,
    Sivaram
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2011, 01:56 PM

She files taxes in her legal name. She includes W2's in her previous name. The SS number is the same.

I work under my previous name. My married name is my legal name. I file taxes under my legal name (using the old name on W-2's and 1099's).
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 2, 2011, 02:27 PM

One thing to add - she should tell the payroll department to update her name in their records so it agress with her SS card (and other legal docs like her passport and driver's license). If professionally she still wants to use her old name on business cards and the like she can certainly continue to do that, but if she travels for work be aware that the TSA is pretty sticky these days about names matching between tickets and ID.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maiden name [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my (ex) husband went to court for a divorce on Tuesday (jan. 19) My question is how soon can I start using my maiden name again and are they going to send me somehting in the mail or do I have to go get a paper..? I live in Massachusetts if that helps.. Do I need proof of my last name change

Maiden name [ 6 Answers ]

Is there anyplace on the web I can find a persons maiden name from just her married name?

Maiden name [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to find someone by just their maiden name, without it costing me.

Maiden name [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for a old friend of mine ,but only know her maiden name.how can I find what her name is now without going to a paid site?

View more questions Search