Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JonInLasVegas Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2011, 04:01 AM
    DVD players won't play .wmv files?
    More and More NON-PC stand-alone DVD players, you know the type you have connected to your regular TV in your living room are able to play .wmv.mov and of course .MP3 sound files
    Now through a built-in USB flash drive port.

Problem: I am having and thousands of other people I suspect
    Don't know what to do when you get this error message on your TV screen
    That say's ''video codec not supported'' if the downloaded internet file
    Or converted internet file (say a You Tube video you had converted to
    .wmv format)

Samsung the manufacturer of my DVD player just says that the DVD player
    We'll only support VC-1AP or VC-1SM codecs, but that's all that
    Know or were trained to say, they themselves in tech support don't even
    Know what this means?

Does anyone here know what this means?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2011, 03:40 PM

Pretty much, video clips downloaded from the internet use a certain "codec," which is basically a programming language that the computer uses to display the video.

While your computer can download extra codecs and install them, lots of dvd players have a set standard of codecs, and are unable to incorporate new "codecs."

If you want to be able to play your movie/video clip on your TV, then I suggest that you either:

1. Buy a new dvd player that can support multiple codecs
    2. hook up your computer to your TV using an HDMI cable or an S-video cable.

Mar 3, 2011, 04:48 PM
    This askmehelpdesk website is a little strange as far as how I reply to someone's answer to a question, I don't even know if your going to receive this follow up question to your first reply of mine. I hope so.

As I mentioned before I have the two type of codec specification's that this
    Samsung BD-C6900 Blu Ray player supports, so my question back to you,

? Why can't I make the .wmv files that I downloaded comatible with
    These two types of CODEC's? Is their ''codec software'' that peforms this function?

Is this what I'm looking at when stumble upon software like the following:

http://www.video-buzz.com/download/Video/InstaCodecs

??

Mar 3, 2011, 04:50 PM
    Comment on ISneezeFunny's post
    This askmehelpdesk website is a little strange as far as how I reply to someone's answer to a question, I don't even know if your going to receive this follow up question to your first reply of mine. I hope so.

As I mentioned before I have the two type of codec specification's that this
    Samsung BD-C6900 Blu Ray player supports, so my question back to you,

? Why can't I make the .wmv files that I downloaded comatible with
    These two types of CODEC's? Is their ''codec software'' that peforms this function?

Is this what I'm looking at when stumble upon software like the following:

http://www.video-buzz.com/download/Video/InstaCodecs

??
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2011, 06:04 PM

I'm not entirely understanding your question. Let me try to explain.

Imagine you're putting diesel in an octane car... that's what you're doing when you try to play a wmv file into a blu ray player.

I took a look at your blu ray's model number

Amazon.com: Samsung BD-C6900 1080p 3D Blu-ray Disc Player: Electronics

It says that it supports divx, so I suggest maybe converting your wmv file into a divx file, possibly using this

Free Convert to DIVX AVI WMV MP4 MPEG Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I use download.cnet.com on a regular basis, so I trust it.

Mar 6, 2011, 04:27 PM
    Comment on ISneezeFunny's post
    Thank you for replying to me, I bet one day your going to make a great Dr,
    But what role does the two codecs I'm told this player supports impact the
    DIVX file format? Or is that even going to matter:

Samsung the manufacturer of my DVD player just says that the DVD player
    We'll only support VC-1AP or VC-1SM codecs. What role do these two codecs impact
    The WMV to DIVX conversion? (Thank you again for replying, I really don't want to have to reply on plugging in a laptop computer, these newer DVD players are supposed to eliminate that need they just don't make it easy for us newbies when it comes to their 3rd world tech support call centers,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Media Player 11 won't play SOME .wmv files [ 2 Answers ]

I had the same problem with WMP 10 so I downloaded WMP 11 and installed it. Still have the same problem. All CD's, DVD's and most .wmv files that come over the internet play just fine. But a few of them show only the video and no audio. In checking with a couple of people who sent the .wmv file...

Burning avi,wmv,mpeg files on DVD. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys.I have many avi,wmv and mpeg files that I would like to burn to DVD. I've tried Few things but nothing works. Please walk me through. Thank You

Why personal dvd players will not play some of the disks I rent [ 1 Answers ]

This is a recent problem. I have 2 players hooked to my TV. One will give me"disk error" the other "incorrect disk".

Cannot play wmv files [ 2 Answers ]

Even though I've downloaded and installed Windows Media Player 11 on my Dell Dimension 2350 PC (running Windows XP, service pack 2), I cannot get my PC to run a wmv file, either in my browser or as a stand alone file. I use Firefox as my browser, but also have Internet Explorer 7 installed on my...

Burning films to play in dvd players [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, Stupid question probably but I have no idea about how to burn films from my PC as mpegs onto a dvd so that I can play it in my dvd player. Dvd player can play mpegs but I don't know what software to use or anything. Really appreciate help here! I have asked many people but my IT friends...

View more questions Search