Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flowerchildfala Posts: 96, Reputation: 16

Mar 2, 2011, 03:14 AM
    Should I go back and get a 2nd degree?
    Ok so I just graduated university doing a degree in nursing however I don't enjoy it one bit and I was curious if anyone else has gone back to university and done a 2nd degree and completely changed career pathways. I am interested in going back to do a 2nd degree then do a masters to become an audiologist but that's going to take me 5 years in total... I really want to but my family isn't very supportive about the idea... im only 22 so I've got time to go back to study.. I don't know.. any advice or anyone been in this situation?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 2, 2011, 05:38 AM
    People change careers all the time. I even know someone who finished med school and decided he didn't want to be a doctor. When I was a computer game tester, several job applicants for the same job were lawyers who were sick of being lawyers (at vastly higher salaries). Stock brokers become farmers and ad execs start B&Bs. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't become an audiologist, but only you can answer the question. Not everyone has the luxury of further cost of education. Nurses are getting great salaries these days and you could work and take courses part time, maybe.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2011, 06:03 AM

People change plans all the time, it is a lot easier at 22 than at 45 after you have a wife and 3 kids.

You can work in your current field, even part time and help pay for going back, But more people work in fields other than their degrees than work in them from what I can tell
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 2, 2011, 03:43 PM

Why do you need a second degree? Just go on for the audiologist master's and, along the way, pick up whatever undergrad courses you need for that. With distance learning and online classes, you could be finished in three years or less.

Mar 3, 2011, 01:54 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Yea I would love to do straight to it but my grades weren't high enough as I had a B average and the lady told me they wanted a B+ average and that they would prefer a student with a undergraduate of science over a student with a nursing degree so if I went back and did 1-2 years undergraduate of some science papers to get my GPA up then I would stand a much higher chance of getting in then I do now. I duno, it would love to do it, but my family seem to think that it wouldn't be worth it.

Mar 3, 2011, 01:56 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Thanks so much 4 your advice! I didn't relise that it was that common! I have a few friends who did pharmacy and after they graduated went back to do other careers so I guess I can 2!! Yea I would work part time to pay off my student loan and study full/part time! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aggregated theft, 2nd degree felony [ 10 Answers ]

The warrant was issued in May of 2003 in Travis County, Texas. I just found out about it and have been living in another state since 2002. I was never notified and have had several background checks and it's never showed up. The bond is $100,000 and bail is $10,000. They want me to turn myself into...

Criminal tresspassing 2nd degree [ 3 Answers ]

I have been recently charged with criminal tresspassing on second degree. I'm 17 years old have never been arressted before. I was on my friend roof top but couldent remember what was his apt. number and was also caught with 6 member that was on top the roof that I some what know. We all attend the...

Criminal tresspass 2nd degree! [ 12 Answers ]

I'm 23 years old married with a beautiful daughter and one more on the way. I recently got charged with 2nd degree trespassing for ending up in a woman's bedroom whom I met 3 weeks prior to the charge. At the time even though I go out and drink about twice every two months I ended up getting drunk....

How do you get charge with 2nd degree trespassing? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm interest in this because my daughter's ex boyfriend was charge after taking a gun to her work place and shooting at some people. I want to see if he should have been charge with some other charges.

Manslaughter or 2nd degree [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be charge with both 2nd degree and manslaughter? Does the case have to start with one or the other, can it be changed later?

View more questions Search