Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nedlami Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2011, 10:37 AM
    Clarification for how to fix sudden loss of hot water pressure in the bath tub
    I have suddenly lost hot water pressure in my bathtub only. I have seen this answer asked by others on here and I think my problem is sediment or something stuck in the line/valve. When I turn my single knob handle to hot, I can hear pipe rattle and groan. Speedball1 has answered the qestion a few times, but I'm not quite clear on what to take apart. On one of the answers it said that there was an image provided, but I couldn't see an image. Thanks in advance!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 10:50 AM

It appears you have Temperature and Pressure Controlled shower valve. It is a common problem. There is a "piston-like" device inside the valve that moves left and right regulating pressure and/or temperature. That device is most likely not working properly.

To proceed with repair: Take trim apart, turn water off to the house, remove cartridge and purchase new one. Advice: take the old cartridge with you to the store.

Let us know how you did... Milo

Mar 1, 2011, 11:12 AM
    You mentioned the shower valve and I thought that controlled the water going to the shower head. I just wanted to clarify that I don't have any hot water pressure in the spout coming from the wall. I do have cold.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 11:13 AM
    I assume you have hot water in all other fixtures in your house. Correct ?

Can you snap a picture of your tub/shower faucet and post it for me to see ?

But still... whether I said "shower" or "tub" faucet, same applies...

Back to you... Milo

Mar 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Comment on Milo Dolezal's post
    You mentioned the shower valve and I thought that controlled the water going to the shower head. I just wanted to clarify that I don't have any hot water pressure in the spout coming from the wall. I do have cold.

Mar 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Comment on nedlami's post
    Oops, I'm new here, this was meant to be a comment... sry

Mar 1, 2011, 12:08 PM
    Yes, I have hot water everywhere else. I would love to post a pic, but can't seem to find the button to do so. I checked the forum and found the directions, but there is not "go advance button" to open up the attachments feature. I don't know if there's a problem with internet explorer or what, but I even tried a different search engine. I'm a little concerned that my question is going to make me appear completely inept, but I'm really not. I just haven't ever done any plumbing other than taking the kitchen sink pipes apart to clear a clog. Ok, the valve, that's housed in the faucett knob, right? I just don't want to tear the wrong thing apart. Thank you so much for your patience!

Mar 1, 2011, 12:36 PM
    I think I've got this! Luckily, I still have the box from when I had the faucett replaced several years ago and it has the directions still in it :)
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 12:41 PM

1. Type in your message
    2. Click on Go advance ( bottom of the box )
    3. Manage Attachments
    4. Browse ( select the pic from your computer )
    5. Upload
    6. Post answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden loss of hot water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

This morning I noticed that the hot water pressure was quite a bit lower then usual in the bathroom and kitchen sink. This evening the tub tap hardly produced any hot water. When the tap was switched to the shower the tap made a air sucking noise and the shower felt like it was blowing air before...

Sudden loss of hot water pressure, and then it comes back? [ 2 Answers ]

Last weekend we lost most of the pressure on the hot water side of every faucet in the house. The pressure was low, but sufficient - now we can't even get a drip out of the upstairs shower. We had one plumber look at it, who said it was either a clogged pipe (35 year old galvanized) or a slab leak,...

Sudden loss of pressure, hot water, affects only 1 faucet [ 5 Answers ]

Our bathroom sink never seemed to have this trouble before and not sure when it started. The hot water will flow fine as long as the water flowing out is not hot, but still "warming up". Once it gets so HOT water is flowing, there is a sudden loss of pressure and an awful noise and vibration. If...

Sudden loss of hot water pressure [ 5 Answers ]

We have a new home (1.5 years) with gas WH. When awoke this AM no hot water pressure from any tap on main floor or lower level (cold was fine). Opened and closed most of the taps in the house on both levels but just a dribble or nothing. Then suddenly a loud "clunk" and now pressure is fine. ...

Sudden hot water pressure loss, seeking advice! [ 1 Answers ]

Our shower recently began to act weird.  One day we had to turn the single control knob much hotter to get the same temp that we did before.  Now, about a month after that, we have to turn the knob even further, and we have lost a lot of our hot water pressure.  The rest of the house seems to have...

View more questions Search