Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gravesc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2011, 09:50 AM
    Ants coming through the cold water pipes through out my house.
    I live in the country and have a water well that is under ground with a metal casing around it. When I turn on the cold water I get ants or ant parts in the water. They are also in the tanks of the toilets and clog the filter on the cold water on my washer.
    Tnovak74 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2011, 10:29 AM
    I cannot tell you how the ants got there, but see if you can access your well and put a filter on your well. http://www.filters4wellwater.com/ you may even want to try a very fine screen filter over the outlet of your water before it gets to your main line.
    jrk7490 Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Mar 2, 2011, 06:16 AM
    Oh Man...
    The itzy bitzy spider went up the water spout.
    I quess you will have to wait for it to ran, than it will be the ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah.

No but seriously, that is a good one. If I come across a solution for you, I will post it for you.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2011, 07:11 AM

Hi GraveSC...

To confirm the ants are coming from the well, you could install a whole house filter... place to start. Here, if you find ants in the whole house filter you can be sure they are coming from the well itself.

See, it seems hard to believe the ants are getting sucked up through the pump as ants should really float on top of the well water (not that I doubt they are in the system), but my guess is that they could be ants that were in some plumbing part or water softener part if any parts were replaced awhile back now...maybe (or your well is about to run dry)?

I'd start there... see what you can determine. If no ant/ant parts show up in the whole house filter then you have another issue inside a recently replaced part... hmmmm..

Questions? Ley us know, OK?

Mark
    rjh2o Posts: 58, Reputation: 13

May 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
    If you are on a private well check the cap on the well (pitless adapter) and well casing above ground. I had an instance where a customer was complaining about debris in their water plugging up all the faucets. On inspection I discovered "BUG Parts", legs, etc throughout the plumbing system in the home. When I inspected the well head I discovered the homeowner had hit the well head while mowing the lawn and broke the well cap. I pulled off the well head cap and the well casing was a solid mass of "EARWIGS" 3 feet down. I still get the creeps over that one! I called a well company I work with and had the well repaired, flushed and sanitized. The same was done for the entire house and water treatment system, it had to be rebuilt (it was packed with them too). UUGGGHHH!
    RJ
    KenSayers Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2011, 03:12 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    I would second the above. Do you have a hose bib at your well head to see if they are coming from your submersible? Ants are attracted to electrical current but that is necessarily separate from the water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water coming from kitchen mixer tap but there is cold water coming out. [ 3 Answers ]

It is -13c outside not sure if that has anything to do with my problem. This morning I turned on the hot water tap and nothing. Turned on the cold got some. It's a reasonably new mixer tap. The central heating has been on all night, the shower is working and so too is the downstairs WC hot water...

Hot water coming out at cold water side of Positemp valve [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, Plumbers recently changed the pipes and installed new tub/shower valves in our building. But since they changed the shower valve (Moen single-handle Positemp that turns 270 degreees but doesn't pull out), hot water comes out when you first turn the handle counterclockwise. It gets cooler as...

Cold air returns are in the ceiling and cold air is coming down into the house [ 5 Answers ]

Cold air returns are in the ceiling and cold air is coming down into the house from the attic through the cold air returns. I have 3 return airs on the one side of the house one in each bedroom and on in the hallway. This side of the house is at least 10 degrees colder and the furnace runs longs...

Whole house cold water pressure drop off,public water pvc pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I searched the forums and didn't find my exact problem. So at every faucet in the house, the cold water drops off after initial turn on. House is on the public water main and was plumbed with PVC pipe. Just turned 5 yrs old I am guessing I have some kind of obstruction? There is a main...

Water coming back up pipes [ 6 Answers ]

Here is a quick run down... Sunday water started coming up into my tubs in both bathrooms. This water had toilet paper residue in it. When ever the water was running or the toilet was flushed the water would come up. I bought a powerful liquid to power down the drains and it fixed the problem. ...

View more questions Search