Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anna002 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 09:38 AM
    Diffusion, Osmosis and Active Transport
    Hi!

I'm having problem to know what is meant by diffusion, osmosis and active transport?
    Can you please give me examples of each and what is the difference between these three?

Thanks in advance! :)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2011, 11:29 AM

Osmosis is just diffusion through a cell membrane.
    Diffusion you can read about here.

Active transport is movement across a cell membrane that require the input of energy, usually in the form of ATP. Simple diffusion and osmosis occur passively. Active transport is like pumping water uphill, instead of letting it flow downhill.

ATP is the common energy currency of cells.
    Lithiumite Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2011, 04:59 AM
    Diffusion is a type of passive transport, which means that no energy is spent in the process. A substance move from a higher concentration to a lower concentration. An example of this is oxygen passing through the cellular membrane easily.

Osmosis is still a type of passive transport but this time, the substance is specific and that is water. It is still the same though, water moves from higher concentration to lower concentration until equilibrium is achieved. (Example? I don't think it is still needed).

Finally active transport, here, energy is spent in the form of ATP (usually) to transport a substance. For example, since an ion cannot pass through the membrane easily, it must move through a channel so that it is able to do so. These channels are usually proteins embedded in the plasma membrane of a cell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rates of diffusion compare [ 4 Answers ]

Gas A is 16 times as dense as Gas B. how do their rates of diffusion compare? Which one diffuses faster? By how much? I think B is diffuses faster. I don't understand this problem. how can I do compare both gas A and B please help! Thank you Also this is another problem.

Diffusion [ 1 Answers ]

Can you suggest an activity to show diffusion of gases in liquids?

Reverse osmosis filter [ 3 Answers ]

I have an RO system for drinking/ice cubes. I changed all the 4 filters 3 months ago and all of a sudden it stopped working. I was told I needed a new storage tank (3gal). MI replaced the tank and still no water. The filter is making water but its not filling the tank.

View more questions Search