Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JWilkins Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Vegetable/Fruit Wash
    Is water enough, or do I need to get a product for washing fruit and vegetables?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 28, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Running water is just fine.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2011, 07:08 AM
    Water is enough, despite the hype about products for washing.
    Studies I have read, however, say that on most fruits and vegetables (except those with thick skins that you don't eat anyway) pesticides soak through and washing gets very little off. An apple, for instance, will have pesticides under the skin.
    A good reason to buy organic when you can afford it, since a lot of the nutrition is in the skin.
    JWilkins Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 07:30 AM
    Thanks, Joypulv. I've also read that if contaminated water has been used to irrigate that the contaminants can be taken up into roots and into vegetables like lettuce. I need to research organic, I suppose. If they use uncomposted manure to fertilize soil, it would seem that ecoli could be drawn into the vegetable?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2011, 08:11 AM

If your washing lettuce or cabbage or any leafy vegetables adding a little salt to the washing water will kill any pesky flies,bugs, worms, caterpillars etc that may be on them, then just rinse off with plain water.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
    I think that you will find that organic farmers take more care than the big outfits (and of course a lot of produce comes from out of the US).
    I buy organic leafy greens, potatoes (the stuff they spray on potatoes is very scary, and the farmers have their own little family organic plot), carrots because they taste so much better, and anything else that's on sale or reasonable. I have my own apple and pear tree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to keep fresh fruit and vegetable in a shop? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know the shelf life of some of the common fruits and how best it can be stored. And also the fruits that always have a ready market. Thanks

Kenmore elite ultra wash dishwasher quiet guard 7 with the turbo wash. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a kenmore elite ultra wash dishwasher quiet guard 7 with the turbo wash. The middle spray arm has stopped spinning. I changed the feed tube going up to the arm, but to no avail. The feeder tube assemble didn't come with the Turbo section. I checked the water level and it seems adequate and I...

Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher - flashing normal wash and Cancel lights? [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher - flashing normal wash and Cancel lights? Is there any easy fix to the flashing lights? I have the "normal wash" and "Cancel" lights flashing. The dishwasher does not work. Model: 665.1385

Tree with compound leaf and green fruit. Fruit is a drupe. The fruit as Rhamnus but l [ 1 Answers ]

A Tree with compound leaf and green fruit. Fruit is a drupe. The fruit as Rhamnus but leaf nut. I want its name.

Is a tomato a fruit or vegetable? [ 13 Answers ]

Please give answers, comments and/or explanations for 4th graders to understand. Thank you

View more questions Search