Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AndrewOS14 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 03:48 PM
    Trojan destroys my PC
    I got a trojan on my computer(one of those ones that tries to get you to download antivirus software with fake windows boxes etc.) anyway I panicked and turned off the PC. When I tried to turn it back on it came up with the quick flash of toshiba then just went to a black screan with one flashing white bar in the top left. I can't even get up to the part where you choose safe mode etc. I can not use a disk because it is a notebook without a disk drive.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 05:11 PM

It doesn't have a cd/dvd rom drive in it? Your only other option would be to boot off a USB drive. Just to get your information off it but your still going to need to clear the virus. It may be possible to clear it but you may end up with missing or infected files and need the OS disk so you can reinstall it.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 06:08 PM

I know you stated above but we need clarity on how far you get into the boot process. Are you able to enter BIOS? Have you tried generic hot-keys? Are there error messages or sounds?

Mar 1, 2011, 03:20 PM
    It will not boot up to BIOS, I can access the setup menu but that is all.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 10:39 PM

What do you mean by setup menu?
    xaxaxa Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2011, 12:09 PM

A good and simple way to attempt to get rid of harmful virus's on your comp is to use the system restore point feature. Windows usually does this automatically. It is basically a rollback feature that restores your computer to an earlier date. It doesn't delete any files that you've created, but changes settings back to the way they were when your comp was running well.

If that fails. CCleaner/Spybot/ Microsoft Essentials (most effiecient, and when ran in realtime it usues the a lot of comp resources). If your computer is powerful enough, Microsoft Essentials real-time shouldn't be a problem. It really overprotects you from making any sort of mistake in the future if you are a beginner, or novice.

If you cannot install anything or use any sort of restore program without getting some weird pop-up error than your best bet is to reformat your computer after transferring your important files to an external hard drive/flash drive. If you don't have these. Get a gmail account, and try emailing yourself the important files. Gmail allows up to 100 GigaBytes (100,000 Megabytes) of information to be stored on their servers.

You reformat by inserting your original copy of windows, and booting from the cd. Everything is self-explanatory, and pretty user friendly to guide you through the process.

Googling "windows restore point" or "reformatting windows" will get you a very detailed description of the process.

Also, downloading Firefox is a good idea. Get the add-ons: adblock, ghostery, and noscript(to be extra careful). Noscript will over block stuff, but you can click to allow a page that you know is secure. Noscript is a little tricky, and not completely necessary, but it helps.

Also, looking into free proxy servers is a great way to browse the web, or download torrents with high anonymity. There are tutorials if you Google it. Firefox is a great browser as far as security goes though.

Be well guys.

May 16, 2011, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xaxaxa View Post
    a good and simple way to attempt to get rid of harmful virus's on your comp is to use the system restore point feature. Windows usually does this automatically. It is basically a a rollback feature that restores your computer to an earlier date. It doesn't delete any files that you've created, but changes settings back to the way they were when your comp was running well.

If that fails. CCleaner/Spybot/ Microsoft Essentials (most effiecient, and when ran in realtime it usues the a lot of comp resources). If your computer is powerful enough, Microsoft Essentials real-time shouldnt be a problem. It really overprotects you from making any sort of mistake in the future if you are a beginner, or novice.

If you cannot install anything or use any sort of restore program without getting some weird pop-up error than your best bet is to reformat your computer after transfering your important files to an external hard drive/flash drive. If you don't have these. Get a gmail account, and try emailing yourself the important files. Gmail allows up to 100 GigaBytes (100,000 Megabytes) of information to be stored on their servers.

You reformat by inserting your original copy of windows, and booting from the cd. Everything is self-explanatory, and pretty user friendly to guide you thru the process.

Googling "windows restore point" or "reformatting windows" will get you a very detailed description of the process.

Also, downloading firefox is a good idea. Get the add-ons: adblock, ghostery, and noscript(to be extra careful). Noscript will over block stuff, but you can click to allow a page that you know is secure. Noscript is a little tricky, and not completely necessary, but it helps.

Also, looking into free proxy servers is a great way to browse the web, or download torrents with high anonymity. There are tutorials if you google it. Firefox is a great browser as far as security goes tho.

Be well guys.

Hey, thanks for the input but my computer will not switch on AT ALL. I will not even make it to BIOS. It is nothing to do with The power supply, it's the virus that I had on it. The virus was that bad that it changed my background to some type of warning message. Anyway, those types of things scare me so I turned the computer off and hoped it would be better when I put it back on but It did not start. Also I have no disk drive as it is a notebook. It has been lying under my bed for months and I don't know what to do with it. But I do need a solution fast because it does not belong to me!

May 16, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewOS14 View Post
    Hey, thanks for the input but my computer will not switch on AT ALL. I will not even make it to BIOS. It is nothing to do with The power supply, its the virus that I had on it. The virus was that bad that it changed my background to some type of warning message. Anyway, those types of things scare me so I turned the computer off and hoped it would be better when I put it back on but It did not start. Also I have no disk drive as it is a notebook. It has been lying under my bed for months and I dont know what to do with it. But I do need a solution fast because it does not belong to me!
    No CD drive what-so-ever? That's a tricky. The computer does absolutely nothing? (no screen display/power lights come on)? You don't need the Bios - only to be able to boot from some sort of other drive (external, CD, booting from a network is really hard). Have you attempted multiple Google searches with adjusted search options? (to make sure that the tips/solutions are up-to-date and not from 2005 or something). The notebook should still have a cd drive - Do you not have a cd drive, or do you not have the original Operating System Install Disk? (windows xp, windows vista, etc.. )

May 16, 2011, 12:56 PM
    Well thank you for writing back to me. Unfortunately I was just given the computer, the charger and nothing else when I borrowd it from my school. When I turn the computer on I see the "Toshiba screen" then it all goes black with one tiny white line flashing in the top left hand corner. I am till not fully aware of the best prcedure for the computer, it's a worthless piece of junk and I have already replaced it but the school are going to bill me like £200 if its not returned.

May 16, 2011, 01:05 PM

Well thank you for writing back to me. Unfortunately I was just given the computer, the charger and nothing else when I borrowd it from my school. When I turn the computer on I see the "Toshiba screen" then it all goes black with one tiny white line flashing in the top left hand corner. I am till not fully aware of the best prcedure for the computer, it's a worthless piece of junk and I have already replaced it but the school are going to bill me like £200 if its not returned.
    If you have no use for the computer anymore I'd say return it as it is. A college surely deals with that problem on a regular basis, and can easily restore the software. There is a very outside chance that it is a hardware problem. If so, then you'll be spending money either way... However, it sounds like a virus. I'm sure your school has standard methods for dealing with that sort of thing, and will just be happy to get their physical computer back even with software problems.

I'm sure you can anonymously find out this information beforehand with a phone call or reading their loaning agreements- if you don't want to be all nervous when handing it in.

I'd just turn it in, and say you did your best to fix it. Any major organization is prepared for that. I'm just glad it isn't your personal computer! :)

May 16, 2011, 01:08 PM
    I guess a simple attempt at a fix would be holding down the F12 (I think) on boot. It should tell you some options. "Restore to Last Known Good Configuration" might work, or you could try booting in safe mode and run a restore point... Sounds like you might have tried that though.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 16, 2011, 01:08 PM

If it has no CD drive you may be able to boot from USB. But from the sounds of it you may be locked out of it. You can also try pushing either F8 or F10 ay boot up and see if there is a recover partition on the hard drive. Most companies don't send disks anymore. If you have it then it will be restored to factory original.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Colin Powell Destroys McCain's Negative Smear Campaign [ 10 Answers ]

Nh_c5bbvmqc A Republican speaking common sense. Too bad the right is going to smear him now.

Trojan [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with "devldr32.exe" as it is copying itself and I now have approximately 200 processes running in my CPU. My computer is running extremely slow with the Cpu is running at 100% usage. The "devldr32.exe" process is by far the largest file and when I do a Search Results I get two...

Autolite Spark Plug destroys Honda V6 3.0 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed Autolite spark plugs into a 2003 Honda accord. After installing, car began to randomly misfire. After driving car 35 miles, car blew 3 back side piston rings and catalyst converters. My $10 plugs are costing me $8700. Would the Autolite plugs be too hot or simply a...

Bank takes funds after verification destroys check. [ 2 Answers ]

My brother-in-law had a check for over 20,000 and brought it to his bank that was the same as the person that drafted the check. Because he had had problems with the check in the past he requested a certified check from the bank. The teller said there was no need for a certified check because the...

View more questions Search