Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pixieincubus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Using peroxide for hair dye
    I want to die my hair with the peroxide you buy from the store. The one that bubbles when you put it on cuts. I want to dye the tips of my hair. My hair is naturally a light brown. I already have aubern highlights in my hair. If I do dye the tips of my hair with peroxide, what color will it turn? Will it damage my hair severely? I was looking for a whitish totally bleached color. Any suggestions/advice?
    pointrevolt Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Jan 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
    DO NOT DO IT!!
    That will kill your hair in about three seconds.
    Your hair won't turn a white blonde color either, Your hair will end up being the completely wrong color and fired beyond belief.
    If you want to get your hair a white-blonde color do it professionally, even then it is horrible for your hair, but it is better than a bottle of peroxide.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 22, 2007, 05:09 PM
    I agree with pointtrevolt. Bleaching can damage your hair and burn your scalp. If you are thinking of doing a double process, bleaching and toning, please let a professional do it for you.
    nicolettedaniel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 08:23 PM
    How do you dye your hair wiyh the peroxide? Oh and proffesionals hair dye last long.
    andipandi Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2008, 09:38 AM
    I have used peroxide to dye my hair twice.

I didn't dye my whole head... just my bangs. It didn't ruin/burn my hair at all. I'm sure if it was used in excess it would damage your hair though.

All I did was take an old toothbrush and dip it into some peroxide then brush it through my hair. It took a good amount of times doing that to get it light, but it does work.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 09:28 PM
    When I was in middle school a girl came to school one day with her bangs all straw looking (texture & color) and they said it was from peroxide.
    You can try Sun In (Clariol) but I don't know that that would give it a whitish look any more than the peroxide but it would look more natural.
    eternal18bliss Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Is that peroxide 100% which u dilute with water?the one that damages?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2009, 08:57 AM

Is that peroxide 100% which you dilute with water? The one that damages?
    Since this thread is over 11 months old, I doubt that you'll get a response.

However, the answer to your question is, "no".

Peroxide used for cuts is 3% hydrogen peroxide (10-volume). Most haircoloring uses 6% Hydrogen peroxide (20-volume). You can buy peroxide up to 40-volume commonly in beauty supply houses.

Hydrogen peroxide isn't a very good lightening agent as it comes in the bottle. It requires a chemical base (as opposed to an acid) in order to make it work properly. The pH must be above 8 or 9 or the lightening action will be minimal. Commercial (i.e. "boxed") color kits have the base (ammonia or some other base) in it. You'll be much better-served using a commercial product. It's more predictable.
    eternal18bliss Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 11:15 AM
    My hair is naturally black.if I want to put in dark red highlights and say I buy 30volume develpoer and a box colour what I have to do to get those highlights?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal18bliss View Post
    My hair is naturally black. If I want to put in dark red highlights and say I buy 30 volume developer and a box color what I have to do to get those highlights?
    You should probably start your own thread instead of piggy-backing on someone else's thread.

However, let me answer your question this way. Hydrogen peroxide is limited in its ability to lighten hair. Regardless of the shade you select, your undertones will turn red. The shade merely "tones" those red shades. You can probably pick *any* color from level 5 (medium brown) or lighter and get the same result.
    pblake4580 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 10:02 PM
    Take a small tupper-wear bowl, mix the peroxide with baking soda (half and half) this should look more like a paste when finished mixing, add honey to make the color stick and it adds the nutrients that the peroxide takes away. Mix it and apply to the area of your hair that you want to change the color and wait a half hour and the you will see the color changing right before your eyes! When you see the hair is the blonde color that you want, wash it out and wash and condition all of your hair and apply a leave in conditioner to restore the vitamins to your hair at least twice a week. I just did this to my hair and it turned out great! Good luck! :)
    vanityinsanity Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
    Ohh crap I put peroxide in my hair before I read this will I die?
    lauren1285 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 07:45 AM
    I used peroxide for the tips of my hair and it worked perfectly. I love it! You might have to do it multiple times a day. But I mean 99 cents a bottle then 75 dollars. Great Deal! Just make sure you condition your hair when you are all done!
    haley12 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andipandi View Post
    I have used peroxide to dye my hair twice.

I didn't dye my whole head...just my bangs. It didn't ruin/burn my hair at all. I'm sure if it was used in excess it would damage your hair though.

All I did was take an old toothbrush and dip it into some peroxide then brush it through my hair. It took a good amount of times doing that to get it light, but it does work.
    What color did it turn?
    haley12 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren1285 View Post
    I used peroxide for the tips of my hair and it worked perfectly. I love it! You might have to do it multiple times a day. But I mean 99 cents a bottle then 75 dollars. Great Deal! Just make sure you condition your hair when you are all done!
    What color did it turn?
    Marshmallow Pie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
    This is not true I did it and my hair is fine and if it does damage your hair which is very unlikely. It will take a LONG time of doing it. It doesn't bleach your hair but I have dark brown hair and I dyed the half of my hair down(underneath) and it turned a orangey rusty color which looks so pretty in the sun and I love it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair loss due to hair dye [ 14 Answers ]

I feel sooo terible, I used dye called (biegen, I think) it is very cheap, I did not like the color so I used around 3 boxes in a week to change the color now my hair is very dry and is falling like crazy especially at the front I can see my scalp now, what should I do would my hair grow back or...

How to get rid of hair dye/keeping hair dye from fading [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have kind of a problem and no one knows what to do, especially me! I have beautiful dark dark brown hair. I don't know why, but I let someone highlight my hair blonde about 2 years ago. They turned orange, so I dyed my hair dark brown again to get my color back and I was happy. Within a...

Hair dye Help! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I really need help! I died my hair on the 7th October the colour said natural darkest brown my hair origionally is dark brown but I had blonde put through it so I wnted 2 go bk to dark brown however. My hair is that thick I have to use 2 colours to cover it I washed it out 10 minutes early as I...

Removing Hair Dye from Hair... Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Readers, I really need someone's help. I had a neutral dark blonde with blonde highlights and decided it would be fun to go darker. I looked online and found the color and even used a computer generated website to put it on my face and make sure the color would look okay. I brought in...

Hair Dye [ 3 Answers ]

I have been dying my hair for several years now. At the moment its on the redish side, But fading away. I want to dye it light brown. I usually dye my hair myself, I by the ready made hair dyes. Now as my hair is on d darkish redish side to go light brown would I need to bleech it? If so its...

View more questions Search