Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birdie33 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 08:28 AM
    Selling my own crafts?
    Is it legal to sell things I make, my scarves, candles, soaps, things like that? I don't want to get in trouble with the IRS or some legal thing I don't know about. On the other hand, I hate to spend all that time and money on getting a LLC set up when I don't even know if anyone will buy my stuff. I am hoping to test the water before I do that. I'm in Texas if that matters.

Thank you in advance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2011, 08:33 AM

Sell under your own name of get a D/B/A - doing business as - name.

You only get in trouble if you don't pay taxes on the income, and that includes sales taxes.

If you are going to sell from your home you need to know what your local ordinances are.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2011, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by birdie33 View Post
    Is it legal to sell things I make,
    Hello birdie:

Not only is it legal, it's the American way. Assuming the things you make aren't consumable (food), then you should be able to make them at home with NO government interference. Judy is right. You can sell your stuff WITHOUT having to invest in corporations, and you don't lose ANY tax advantages.. You probably only need a county license, but I'd check with a CPA first. In fact, a CPA would be the ONLY professions person I'd hire at this point. The reason why is he's CHEAP, he KNOWS about local licenses, he KNOWS how to set up your books right, and he'll FILE your tax returns, leaving you to concentrate on what you're good at - making stuff. A good CPA will make his money when YOU start making money.

I'd sell my stuff at swap meets, through Craigs List, Ebay, local festivals, art shows and frankly ANYWHERE they'd let me set up a booth.

Make a lot of money.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crafts for Christmas! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there! My fiancé and I have recently moved into our own apartment. I love doing crafts and was looking for some Christmas craft ideas that would look elegant in our apartment! Seems a little early to be getting into the Christmas spirit but I love the holiday so much! Any ideas are...

What are your crafts? [ 169 Answers ]

Just curious :D

Getting started in crafts [ 11 Answers ]

I am 69 years old. I do a lot of crafting. I would like to put my things on a web site,But not quite sure how to do it. I get started and then get stuck. I read about a site called weebly.com. Then it said something about affiliate products. What are affiliate products? I'm not the smartest on...

Crafts for candles [ 3 Answers ]

I have a candle business and I am looking for craft ideas to help sell and decorate candles. I have pattern for votive roses but would like to do more. Thank you

View more questions Search