Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 07:59 PM
    Mold problem in shower
    I need a little advice concerning mold in the master bath shower.

It isn't that prevalent as yet as it isn't that visible . But I know that mold is like roaches, you see one then there are thousands in the walls or floor.

It started in one spot on the corner of the built in seat under the caulking and now is starting to show on the other side of the shower in the grout, two small spots.

We have used bleach and other strong quats but it keeps coming back. Is there an economical way possibly some other chemical or minor method to rid the shower of the mold? Or do I have to pay someone to come in and rip out the grout and caulking?

Thanks.

Stringer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 08:15 PM

Mold in a shower doesn't bother me but mold behind the caulk does. The caulk failed, its main job is to seal out water so it must be completely removed. Clean the area, scrub with bleach or mildewcide and recaulk. I recommend you use something like Dap 1205277 Siliconized Latex Caulk White 10.1 oz
    Business Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 08:23 PM

Thank you for your advice, can you tell me is this a big job? If I hire someone is this going to run big $$? And where do I start looking for a person/company to complete this?

Also, the bleach got rid of the mold on the grout but it keeps coming back. And mold bothers me so I want to get rid of it permanently if possible.

And does this sort of work come with any warranty?

Feb 25, 2011, 08:32 PM

This is not a big job and little skill needed. Gouge the caulk out with a putty knife and/or screw driver. They do sell a caulk removal tool at ACE for about $3. Scrap the surface with a razor knife like the ones you use when you get paint on your windows when painting. Bleach is cheap and so is the caulk. You could get everything at ACE, Menards, Lowe's, Home Depot for $10. The bleach killed the mold but more water keeps getting behind the caulk and mold spores are everywhere. You have to get the caulk to seal other the water or you will have new mold every week
    Business Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 08:35 PM

Ok, thanks.

But what about ridding the shower completely of it even in the grout on the other side? It keeps coming back.

Feb 25, 2011, 08:42 PM

Mold amd mildew on grout is much easier to clean because the mold stays on the surface. What you are describing may also tell us your bathroom needs an exhaust fan to dry out the room and remove the humidity. Can you install one with our help? Menards does sell a Mildewcide kit in a green box which you could periodically use by spraying it on all surfaces once a month.
    Business Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 08:45 PM

Menards does sell a Mildewcide kit in a green box which you could periodically use by spraying it on all surfaces once a month.
    Thanks, THAT is information that I can really use.

We have two ceiling fans Ball, one in the center of the room and one in the enclosed toilet area.

Do I have to remove the grout in the area where there is mold?

Feb 26, 2011, 10:20 AM

A ceiling fan is better than nothjing but it doesn't function like an exhaust fan. You need to get the humid air out of the bathroom faster. No on the grout removal. The mold is on the surface of the grout and is easily killed by mildewcide.
    Business Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks a ton need to get to work on this.

Feb 26, 2011, 10:31 AM

After you shovel your walk from last nights snow
    Business Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    after you shovel your walk from last nights snow
    We only received a dusting here but it is starting to slowly start again. I have had enough of this winter... enough I say!
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 26, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Another option is a new product called concrobium. It encapsulates the mold sdo it will not grow back. Safe epa & approved. If you go the bleach route must keep using it.. this solves the problem
    I also agree that a new bath fan is in order.. good luck

Feb 26, 2011, 01:36 PM

Yep Concrobium Mold Control Removes, Eliminates and Prevents Mold and Mould at Home | Concrobium Mold Control also at Menards right in with the bathroom cleaning supplies
    Business Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 02:15 PM

Ball, thanks for the website and info.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold in stand up shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower in my bathroom.. the house that I have just purchased seems to be very well built... but my fiancé has recently noticed some black spotted mold in my stand up shower along the walls and down in the drain. Other than gutting the entire shower to put up new barriers what...

Mold problem [ 4 Answers ]

My Sister and Husband are renting a home in Arkansas this home has a lot of mold on the back side of her furniture. The house is very old but has new siding yet a lot of smelly mold even on there shoes in the closet. A lot of things have been damaged. We also signed a year lease and only lived...

Mold Problem Found After Inspection - can I get out? [ 2 Answers ]

I am due to settle on a new house in PA on 20th October. When we did the inspection, Several things were wrong, but after a fair bit of too-ing and fro-ing the Seller agreed to sort them out (radon, basement mold, termites etc). We got a Note through last week saying all this had been completed...

View more questions Search