Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anita76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 12:00 PM
    Can landlord make renovations to the house I am renting? He plans on selling after.
    My landlord plans of selling the house we are renting when the lease is up in July. He told us that a contractor will be making renovations on the inside of the house, installing doors and clostes while we are still living in it. It is very inconvenient for us to have strangers disrupting our lives and invading our privacy. Does he have the right to make renovations? We live in GA. Thanks,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 12:06 PM

What does the lease say about intrusions such as this?

If the lease is silent on the subject I say, no, you can refuse to allow people into your home when you are not there. You could take a stand about allowing the work to be done whether you are there or not. Again, depends on your lease.

(What are clostes?)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 12:28 PM

Distant cousin to closets
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 25, 2011, 02:40 PM
    Generally landlords are allowed to make REPAIRS but not improvements without permission.
    This is a grey area, since many repairs go hand in hand with improvements or are arguable as one or the other anyway.
    I would (after reading your lease as suggested) talk to the landlord about the disruption.
    Tell him it's intrusive and will disrupt your work/sleep schedule and that you can't live in a construction site.

If this is unresolved, you could say that you are very sensitive to plaster and sawdust, which many people are, and that any respiratory problems requiring medical care would be his liability.

Some landlords are willing to reduce the rent a lot during renovations.

If it is still unresolved, take pictures and hold rents in escrow and go to court.
    gbischoff3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 08:42 AM
    What if there is no lease? In my case my landlords are coming in and putting up a back splash in my kitchen as I sit here. It is VERY disruptive. Can I tell them to not come back? I paid for the month of July.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... (What are clostes?)
    Clusters of closets contained in cloisters.

Quote Originally Posted by gbischoff3 View Post
    ... Can I tell them to not come back? ...
    Certainly. Or ask the landlord how much he would be willing to pay you for the privilege.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My landlord is selling my house while I'm still renting... What rights do I have? [ 11 Answers ]

Thank you for taking the time to read my question! I am currently renting month-to-month, and my landlord just told me that she will be trying to sell the house. She called me at 3pm on Saturday to tell me that she would be by with potential buyers at 9:30AM the next day. I have searched and...

Can my landlord wants to make renovations to my place that I don't want? - Missouri [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Missouri tenant and my landlord mentioned wanting to make renovations to the kitchen when I moved in in March. He said he was going to do them right away. Since I moved in he was entering my apartment without giving me any notice and piddling around with small unnecessary repairs (NOTHING...

Renting a house when I didn't know it was in foreclosure but the Landlord did [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a house in July and asked the question is it in shortsale or foreclosure. I was told no by the realitor so I moved in. In Sep I found out that he hasn't been paying rent since May. I was lied to about moving in a house that was in foreclosure. I know that I still need to pay rent but...

Landlord selling property while still renting it out in Philadelphia Pa. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am renting a second floor apartment duplex in Philadelphia Pennsylvania with a month to month lease. I have known from the beginning that I am dealing with a very sneaky, only out for a buck and himself, slum lord. I was away form my apartment, for two months, off and on in July and...

Chapter 13 and selling or renting house [ 2 Answers ]

I am in my final year of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and have accepted a job 200 miles away in a different state. I cannot afford both an apartment there and my house payment. My son is already living there so I can stay with him and come home on weekends to get the house ready to sell. I haven't...

View more questions Search