Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tracyc2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 09:49 AM
    I Need to Talk to a Solicitor Online Free Now? Who owns a birth certificate?
    If someone has a birth certificate and a marriage certificate and someone else wants it. How is it decided who owns this document
    tracyc2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
    If someone has died, who owns their marriage certificate and birth certificate
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 09:56 AM

Who is the other person? What country? Usually nobody has a right to the original document but the person who's name is on it. Excepting in cases of minor children where the Parent or legal guardian has it as well.

For a Marriage certificate after a divorce the judge decides how retains the original and who gets a copy.

But in both of those cases the "Birth Certificate" isn't the real birth Certificate that is held by the government who ownes it... what most people think of as a birth certifcate is actually a Certificate of Birth that has less information and is subordinate to the master the government has. Same situation with a marriage certificate... the Government has an original as well, and what's theirs is theirs.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 09:58 AM

I have my grandmother's baptismal certificate (she was born at home, so no birth certificate) and marriage certificate. She's been dead since 1958, so I guess I "own" them.

If my husband dies, I "own" our marriage certificate.

It's not a question of ownership, but a question of who has possession of it. All birth, marriage, and death certificates are to be filed at the county office, so maybe the county "owns" them.

Why are you saying "own"?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 10:47 AM
    It's a trivial question; the value is the price paid to obtain an official copy ($10-$20 maybe?), so in most cases it's not likely to get to court. But in theory, it would be the person who paid for it who owns it. Then he or she either gives it to someone else (who then becomes the owner), or dies and his/her heirs or devisees "own" it.

So, to answer the original question, apply the above rules to trace the provenence (history of ownership) to determine who owns it.

Like other items of personal property, it would be common that someone not necessarily entilted to it simply took it at some point (for example when the previous owner died). Despite the saying that "possession is nine tenths of the law" (This saying is really a presumption: if one possesses the thing, that person is presumed to have acquired it through either gift, purchase, or inheritance. This presumption can be overcome by sufficient evidence.), strictly speaking one cannot establish ownership by simply taking/stealing something.

It's similar to how ownership of paintings, antiques, etc. is determined.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mexican marriage using falce birth certificate by my wife [ 2 Answers ]

My wife married me in Mexico using a false birth certificate in the year 1974, we legally immigrated to the USA in the year 1981. Then using her real birth certificate she married in Mexico an immigrated to the USA again. She lives in Santa Cruz County, Arizona with her new husband and using her...

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

Mothers' first name is different on Marriage license and birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

My mother has different documentation with different first names. Her birth cert. has her name listed as Noreen M.as does all other legal documents. The exception to this is her marriage license and my brothers birth certificate, they have her name listed as Nora M. I do not know what which name...

View more questions Search