Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kregister Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 08:17 AM
    Do I change the timing belt a 2nd time in a vehicle with 217,000 miles?
    I have a 2004 Honda Pilot that has around 217,000 miles on it. I had the timing belt changed at around 120,000 miles. My dilemma is this... do I have the timing belt changed again? I don't want to spend the money to have it changed if the vehicle isn't going to last much longer anyway. I plan to drive this car until it gives up on me, literally. What do you recommend? And if you recommend I have the timing belt changed, is it OK to have it changed by someone other than the Honda dealership?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:38 AM
    Any qualified mechanic can change the belt. I believe this is an interference engine and if the belt breaks, the valves can hit the piston and destroy the engine. Change the water pump at the same time, it's belt driven. I'd do at least one more change.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:40 AM

Change it. Or its might give up on you a LOT sooner than it might otherwise.

Break a timing belt on a honda... and valves and pistons try to do the physically impossible... occupy the same space at the same time... and it gets ugly and expensive as a result. Replace that belt, Idler and water pump... and you might have another 50-100K miles in it... Don't and it might end tomorrow.

Feb 25, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Thanks! I think I will take your advice and have it changed

Feb 25, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Thanks! Think it's time I have it changed. I just hate going to the Honda dealership because they want to do so many other things too.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 08:48 AM

We all agree that changing the belt is the best approach. However, you say you want to drive it until its dead. If that belt were to break tomorrow are you comfortable walking away from this car? Its going to die sometime and the belt replacement can run around $750. Whatis the blue book on it now, about $10k depending trim and options. Seems like a good investment, or a time to sell as is
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:55 AM

. Change the T-belt--Honda is often cheaper than independents.

. Change the transmission fluid. ATXs often cause vehicles to die prematurely.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:59 AM

Hondas are one of those vehicles that can rack up a LOT of miles if they have been properly maintained their entire life. And I've seen a lot that have gone 250K and even over 300K.

Unless its rusted out and literally falling apart. Its probibly got a lot of life left in it. And since its paid off... thats money you are saving not buying a new one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have 97 civic lx with only 31000 miles when will I need to replace timing belt [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 97 Honda civic ox with only 31000 original miles the car is in great condition. I don't think the timing belt needs to be replaced until 105000 miles but I know sometimes it also has to do with the year of the car. I don't have the money to have it replaced at this time. Can someone with...

Dealer suggesting a fuel injection cleaning , 1st time in 60,000 miles, shd I? [ 2 Answers ]

My car is a 2005 Chrylser Town and Country minivan. Dealer is suggesting a fuel injection cleaning and to change the spark plugs saying they are really gapped, would be 1st time in 60,000 miles, shd I? Vr, Mabe

How do I change a timing belt on a 94 toyota camery 2.2l engine [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change the timing belt and water pump on a 1994 Toyota Camery with a 4cyl eng.

Timing belt change [ 4 Answers ]

I own a very reliable(so far.. knock on wood) 2004 Toyota 4runner with approx 113K miles... I have not changed timing belt as of yet... Im hearing conflicting opinions on this... should I be proactive and change it before it breaks and if so at what mileage is it reasonable to do so... or should I...

View more questions Search