Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 09:29 PM
    Move out fees
    So far, I've always rented private rooms and been fortunate enough to have great landlords and never any problems. I like the place I'm at now, but I can't have my boyfriend move in and we'd like to move in together so we're looking at apartments. I live in irvine, ca and would like to continue living in this city. The thing is though that nearly everything is owned by the irvine company. Some of the properties have great reviews, and others really bad. The common complaint for all of them though seems to be these ridiculous move out fees.

People claim they were good tenants and left places clean but still never got their deposits back, and in addition to not getting their deposits back received bills ranging from a few hundred dollars all the way up to a few thousand dollars for paint, carpet replacement, and "misc repairs."

It all seems a little fishy to me. People say stuff like the irvine company claimed that misc repairs were written into the lease or that no one would ever answer any questions about the charges and would just send things to collections agencies.

So, finally, my questions, before I get myself into a bad situation... can they really do that? Let's say I move into one of these places (one of the ones with the least amount of these sorts of complaints) and I continue to be a good tenant and leave the place in good condition (and read my lease carefully), can they really come after me for all sorts of miscellaneous charges and never provide evidence of what repairs and what not they are making? My understanding has always been that even if they keep any part of the deposit they still had to show what that money was going towards.

My suspicion is that these reviews are mostly by people that weren't really as good of tenants as they claimed to be. But I'd just like to have all my research done before I pack any boxes.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 11:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    so, finally, my questions, before i get myself into a bad situation...can they really do that? ...
    Yes, they can get away with it if no one challenges the practice.

No, they probably can't, assuming it's not in the lease, if the matter is taken to court.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 11:11 PM

Thanks. I had a feeling that was it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 05:48 AM

Hello j:

California is one of the most tenant friendly states in the country... If somebody got screwed by their landlord there, it's because they had NO CLUE about how to protect their rights.. Fortunately for you, you have US, and we'll guard your rights.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:08 AM

Aww. Thanks ex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USMLE fees, h1b attorney fees [ 4 Answers ]

I am on a H1b visa in the US... my wife is a physician who is writing USMLE exams to get a residency in US... I was wondering if I can deduct all the usmle exam fees + costs of applying to residency programs (close to $5000) as expenses on my taxes? I also paid for the attorney fees to get my...

I was asked verbally to move so a relative could move in. Relocation fees? [ 3 Answers ]

The next month after my landlady was upset and was rude to me because I did not pay the rent 3 days early, I dropped off my rent and was told to move in 30 days so a relative could move in. Since I had paid last month's rent (is that legal or should it be security?) he told me I could have 60 days....

Unearned Fees to Earned Fees AJE [ 2 Answers ]

Unearned fees previously recorded of 1200. As of 12/31 fees have been earned--what is aje?

Deduct brokerage fees, appraisal fees and other closing costs on my taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased my home in Calif in 2006 and refinances in 2007 to lower the interest rate. Can I deduct the brokerage fee, appraisal fee, flood fee, document fee, escrow fee and transfer fees? I paid all of the fees and did not include them in the refinance of my home. If I can decuct any of these...

College application fees and testing fees as tax deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Are the fees we are paying for our son to apply to various colleges tax deductable? Also, what about the money paid to take ACT ; SAT and AP tests? And, th emoney spent requesting these scores be sent to the universities being applied to?

View more questions Search