Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandbrid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 08:39 PM
    Dependent filing with husband as dependent
    I am from India temporarily working in US on a H1-B visa. My husband had visited me last years for around 2 months here. Otherwise he works in India.

1. Can I do a joint filing with him being my dependent since he was as good as a dependent while he was in US?
    2. Also he isn't here presently and while he was here I had not got his passport notarised. So in case I want to apply for his TIN and do a joitn filing, please suggest what should be done?Will he need to come back to US for sometime? Please advise

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 11:13 PM

Spouse is never a dependent.
    If you are a U.S. citizen or resident you can only file as married filing jointly or married filing separately. You can file joint return as residents even when your spouse has never been to the U.S. On the joint return, both of you must report worldwide income. If your spouse does not have SSN, attach W-7 (ITIN application) with your tax return. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

You can also file as head of household if your spouse does not live in the U.S. and you have a qualifying relative dependent. Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing as a dependent/independent [ 4 Answers ]

I've filed as a dependent under my parents for the entire time I've been doing taxes, and now, since I'm 22 and am making more money than I have in the past, I'd like to file myself as independent. Is this going to have negative implications for my parents? I just graduated from college this year,...

Filing dependent [ 4 Answers ]

I have a son, he is working a part time and the same time he studies, I help him, how can I file tax return

Reg' Dependent Filing [ 1 Answers ]

My bro supported me financially fr my Masters degree, He claimed me as a dependent in his tax filing by giving my ssn and my income.. How am I supposed to file the tax? Should I file? I was to told to fill the form 8843, but where should I mention my brothers identification? Or should I...

Filing a dependent on my taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently got married and I'll be filing my wife as my dependent. What do I need to do file as a dependent?

Filing a dependent [ 1 Answers ]

If I claimed my boyfriend on my taxes would he not be able to file for himself and receive a refund?

View more questions Search