Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 04:20 PM

I just contacted a good friend at "Funds for Furry Friends" in MB, and she is going to contact this girl tomorrow morning. She also is a member of the Human Society in Emily's town.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2011, 04:28 PM

Thank You Bella!
    Is your friend going to keep you updated? If so, can you keep me updated?
    Dogs Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 04:30 PM

Yup I'm on the phone with her right now, while she messages this girl. She's trying to set up a meeting. She's got the officer at the H.S involved now.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 06:38 AM

New Facebook Status:

Alyssa's Ark Small Animal Rescue had taken down my contact phone number due to some un-nerving phone calls. If you would like to contact me see the info for my email address.

Her comment to why:
    Some people don't think so. I just got a call that there is a rumor going around that someone called animal control.

And her reason she shouldn't be called on:
    I went to the city and asked if what I was doing was legal. They said it was as long as it didn't get out of hand. Everyone here always has, fresh food, clean water, and a clean cage. They all get attention and lots of love. There is no reason I should be shut down but it's still worrying.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 08:05 AM

If she's taking care of them properly, then no she won't be shut down. She looks legit as far as her funding goes, but what I find un nerving is the YouTube video with over 20 dead animals in it.

People have filed formal complaints against the HS and the SPCA in my area for years. Especially people who get rejected as pet owners. If you feel that there is something going on, you did the right thing.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 09:26 AM

I still say hoarder!

She may have said the right things and filled out the right paper work to become a rescue and be a funded rescue.. But if she isn't placing animals into homes and is claiming that she is cleaning cages, when they are not.. Aninals are dying left and right on her property.. I say HOARDER!

Also, not every rescue that is funded is a good rescue. There are plenty of bad rescues that are non-profit status that are aweful.

The Humane Society will determine if she is doing the right thing and if these animals indeed have fresh food and water with clean bedding.

Do you happen to know who she is funded through? If so, call them on her. If they Ok'd her status of rescue, a recheck will probably shut her down. Here in the US, we have PACFA... Agriculture-Colorado:Pet Animal Care Facilities Program... Maybe your country has something similar?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 09:45 AM

She may be knocking herself out as we speak to get her "rescue" in good shape in case she's inspected. I watched last season's TV show "Hoarders" and was amazed by all the excuses a hoarder can come up with. I truly believe she needs unannounced inspections.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 12:14 PM

Exactly if she has nothing to hide she'll be fine, but I find it weird she's worried she'll get shut down, if she is doing everything right then why worry?

And also... Im kind of confused, where does she get funding? All the money is donated from people and all the supplies are donated...

As far as I know, she isn't a legit "rescue", she has no certificates, nothing...
    Dogs Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 12:22 PM

All I said was she looked legit as far as funding went, meaning she wasn't pocketing the money her self. All the donations go to a 3rd party, which mind you I haven't had time to check out, but I will do a little dogging tonight to find out about this 3rd party.

I don't know what her "shelter" looks like, but I know she isn't spaying or neutering her animals, which is a whole other can of worms...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 12:50 PM

Is she tax-exempt? Our cat shelter couldn't tell donors their donations were tax deductible until the shelter became tax exempt (which took a bit of work and legal help).
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 01:14 PM

I wonder because of all of the deaths if the environmental health office in your area should be contacted?

Even if she is cleared of overcrowding, there may be a bacteria or virus on her premises that may affect other types of animals.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 03:04 PM

She doesn't know why any of the animals died. Except one, which was there ferret who died of pneumonia, which is usually caused by something else. Bella, did your friend say anything about a visit or are they waiting for my call?
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 03:07 PM

Also, the "Shelter" is her living room. With dog kennels and cages all around the walls. There is no way there is not to many animals in there. The only animals spayed and neutered are the ones that come in that way, there ferrets also weren't UTD on shots (My mom called when we were looking for another one), now I say ferrets because as far as I know mice, guinea pigs, and rabbits don't need shots, but ferrets do.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 03:10 PM

They are waiting for your call. Don't worry Emily, you'll be okay. The initial call has been made, but when I made the call there wasn't much I could tell them from looking at a fb page. Obviously my friend has contacted the HS society, and someone must have called her already. I've received a few e mails today already, asking when you are going to call.

If you want some help on what to say, you can PM me and we can work out what you will say. Emily, right now there isn't much more I can do from NS, it's kind of in your hands.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 03:11 PM

Okay, I hate talking to people on the phone, I always feel like Im going to mess up...

How would I start the call? Like... Hi... haha.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    Okay, I hate talking to people on the phone, I always feel like Im going to mess up...

How would I start the call? Like... Hi... haha.
    Emily, just say the same thing you did when you called the humane society. You made that call, so this one should be a breeze.

It's up to you to follow through on this now that you have the number and contact info you asked for.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 04:38 PM

My mom actually called the human society, not me.
    Pets Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    My mom actually called the human society, not me.
    Then get your mom to make this call too.

Emily, this needs to be done by you or someone in your neighborhood. Bella can't make this call, she's not in Manitoba. It has to come from you. You're the one that started this thread asking what you can do about it. You've been given the number, you've been given the info, you now have someone to call, so it's time to do what you claimed you want to do. Make the call!

If Bella made the call there would be questions. She's not in Manitoba, so they'd wonder why she was questioning their practices. You're the one that is concerned about this. You're the one that asked us what you can do because you're the one that's seen what's been going on at that shelter. Bella told you, and she made a few calls already on your behalf. Now it's time for you to follow through. If you're really concerned, and really did want the info you asked for in this thread, then it's time to take the info you've been given and do something about it. It's a simple phone call. Time to be grownup and do it.

Bella also gave you an email you can write to.

There's really no excuse not to do this. If you don't, then I really have to wonder why you even started this thread.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 05:54 PM

No, I am wanting to call... but I really don't know what to say that's all.
    Pets Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 06:11 PM

Emily, you just say what you told us. It's not that hard. You're the one that started this thread asking for options. You've been given those options, now it's time to do what you claimed you wanted to do. Make the call, or write an email. You're the one that's seen what these animals are going through. This is up to you, and it's the right thing to do.

I know it's hard, but responsibility often is. It's time to do what you know is right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

1980 Suzuki GS 450 "rubbing" noise front wheel area [ 2 Answers ]

I hear a rubbing noise coming from the front wheel area. Just had new break pads installed and it otherwise runs fine. Seems to occur more so at higher speeds and not necessarily all the time. Rotors and pads rubbing? Something else? Anything major to be concerned about? Thanks.:)

"Beeping" noise occurs from furnace area [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Miller furnace in a mobile home. For the past two or three weeks, we've heard an occasional "beeping" noise coming from the attic area just above the furnace. It sounds like a back-up warning from vans but not as loud. It occurs about every five or ten minutes. I cannot locate the...

View more questions Search