Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I'm talking about the postings in Current Events on this website.
    By all means, let's talk about Canada for a while.

Border officials tell travellers to avoid Windsor crossing
    Front-line unionized workers are refusing to work at the Ambassador Bridge in protest of name tags

Posted notices about disciplined doctors leave public confused

Ontario doctors disciplined for the sexual abuse of patients are often required to adhere to conditions when they return to their practice following a suspension.

Among such measures, doctors can be ordered to post a notice about the conditions imposed upon their practice, though a CBC News Toronto investigation has found that some of the signs found in doctors’ offices around the city are not necessarily clearly displayed or clear to the public.

One Toronto gynecologist, Joseph Siu-Kan Lee, was disciplined by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, after complaints from a female patient.

The patient alleged that Lee "touched her breasts in a non-medical manner," commented on them and subsequently grabbed and licked one of them.

She alleged that the doctor also suggested that her husband should perform oral sex on her and proceeded to put his face near her genitals and make “licking sounds."

Ikea monkey saga raises questions over exotic pet laws

The saga of Darwin, the young monkey found wandering outside a Toronto Ikea store, is leading to calls by animal protection groups for stronger laws on exotic pets.

Befuddled shoppers spotted the tiny macaque, clad in a shearling coat and diaper, in the parking lot outside the North York Ikea on Sunday, after he escaped his owner’s vehicle.

Shots fired outside B.C. Ikea

Parents fight sex offender's return to teaching

Bold thieves empty corn silos at Quebec farm

Canada could be next for right-to-work legislation, opposition parties warn

Evidence suggests election robocalls were targeted, court hears

3 former Quebec provincial police brass under investigation

Who's looking out for Tim Hortons' temporary foreign workers?

Erik Flores came to Canada full of optimism that his new job at a Tim Hortons franchise near Regina would open doors to a "beautiful life."

Instead, the 21-year-old from Mexico says he found himself walking to work in the snow and living in a basement with five other Mexican men.

Teachers’ dispute: Toronto District School Board will close schools if ETFO goes on strike

Anti-native racism common in Toronto health care

It’s not unusual for Dr. Chandrakant Shah to have patients come to him in tears.

“They tell me that they’ve been stereotyped and discriminated against,” he said.

Shah, who has worked in health care among native people for 45 years and is the staff physician for Anishnawbe Health Toronto, a community health care centre. He said racism against First Nations people in Toronto’s health-care system is far too common.
    400 urine-stained library books destroyed in Leamington

Yep, things are much more normal in Canada.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 12, 2012, 01:45 PM
    Well I guess there is normal and there is normal. But the thing I want to know is why everything is couched in terms of 'war'. There is a war on this and a war on that. Even Tom's signature quote gets in on the act.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
    Its more fun Tut are you going to sign of to something that is just a fight, no sense of the dramatic, you see, and after all all the actors among the poli's have to think they are really doing something, so they will have a war and throw resources at a problem. I wonder if they have won their wars
    War on Terror,
    War on Drugs,
    War on Poverty
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
    When your president wants voters to exact "revenge" what do you expect?
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 03:35 PM
    I expect a targeted response, not a scattergun approach. Unfortunately your country is the land of the vigilante. Look I know 9/11 was difficult to deal with, who was the enemy, an attack from without is one thing, an attack from within something very different. In those moments as we watched the towers burn we were looking at the start of WWIII. The terrorists had succeeded however briefly. The war goes on, we focus on Afghanistan but the war is a war against jihadistan, against islamists, it is a culture war

Dec 13, 2012, 02:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    When your president wants voters to exact "revenge" what do you expect?
    I understand that side of the argument. However I am just wondering what Tom's excuse is. But I guess I should ask him.

Tut
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2012, 03:37 AM
    Yes Tom why do you want revenge
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2012, 03:46 AM
    Yes Tom why do you want revenge
    It's the christian thing to do don't you know.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2012, 04:43 AM
    None of us are perfect Karma, that's why we are Christians, but not even you are perfect. You see someone asked me if I was God once and I had to admit I was not
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2012, 05:20 AM
    Who would ask you if you are a god? How would that discussion even happen?

I realize none of us are perfect but it isn't very hard to refrain from constantly debasing people in internet forums.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2012, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Who would ask you if you are a god? How would that discussion even happen?

I realize none of us are perfect but it isn't very hard to refrain from constantly debasing people in internet forums.
    You would like to know how that conversation could happen well God revealed a passage of Scripture to me that says I am one with Him and you see there was this JW and he just didn't get what I was telling him. All his magazine reading had just failed him
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2012, 07:02 AM
    My signature is not about revenge. It's about taking a political set back and not laying down and accepting defeat. Why did I use the Grant dialogue ? Because I like it. It's really that simple . You need not read anything else into it than that.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
    Well Tom you like to quote from republicans but perhaps you should consider the words of Lee, they seem appropriate to the current crisis
    The war... was an unnecessary condition of affairs, and might have been avoided if forebearance and wisdom had been practiced on both sides.
    Robert E. Lee
    just subsititue anything you like for the words "the war"
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 04:22 AM
    I could quote many people . Mao said politics is warfare by other means.

I agree with Lee . The system the founders set up would've had slavery wither on the vine had SCOTUS not made one of it's many horribly wrong decisions in the ' Dred Scott v. Sandford' case.

Dec 14, 2012, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I could quote many people . Mao said politics is warfare by other means.

I agree with Lee . The system the founders set up would've had slavery wither on the vine had SCOTUS not made one of it's many horribly wrong decisions in the ' Dred Scott v. Sandford' case.

Tom, you always cite SCOTUS as the villain in the play. I am sure there is a good argument for that position. The problem is that I cannot recall any civilization that has had a successful power sharing arrangement. Let alone a triumvirate. But than again I am a pessimist. A bit like yourself I suspect?

Tut
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 05:16 AM
    Tut Tom is optimistic that capitalism will prevail and bail them out of their dilemma

Dec 14, 2012, 05:42 AM
    My signature is not about revenge. It's about taking a political set back and not laying down and accepting defeat. Why did I use the Grant dialogue ? Because I like it. It's really that simple . You need not read anything else into it than that.
    Should we read anything into a famous quote you cite subsequently? "......politics is warfare by other means" . Perhaps you just like it?

Tut
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 05:54 AM
    Specifically Eighty years of compromising (beginning with the Constitutional Convention and continued on in Congress ) went down the drain with the Dred Scott decision. In one fell swoop, the primary tool of compromise, a line by which it was determined which states would enter the Union as slave states, and which would enter as free states, was found to be unconstitutional. It is no coincidence that the Civil War began 3 years later .
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    Should we read anything into a famous quote you cite subsequently? "......politics is warfare by other means" . Perhaps you just like it?

Tut
    Read what you wish . Frankly civility and political correctness are over-rated.

Dec 14, 2012, 06:25 AM
    specifically Eighty years of compromising (beginning with the Constitutional Convention and continued on in Congress ) went down the drain with the Dred Scott decision. In one fell swoop, the primary tool of compromise, a line by which it was determined which states would enter the Union as slave states, and which would enter as free states, was found to be unconstitutional. It is no coincidence that the Civil War began 3 years later .

It is very easy to exact hindsight when it comes to historical events. Sounds a lot like you are promoting 'creeping determinism' to me. In other words, we can see past events in a clearer light after said events have taken place.

As far as SCOTUS' bad decisions are concerned I guess from our vantage point we knew it all along.

Perhaps in the same way as the Constitution knew it all along.

Fraught with bad methodology I would have thought.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civility? Screw Civility! [ 104 Answers ]

Hello: As mentioned in my recent thread, incivility isn't the problem. If this guy had walked up to his congresswoman and been UNCIVIL, we wouldn't be having this conversation... Nope. He SHOT her - with a GUN So, it's the talk of GUN PLAY that's the problem. What's so hard to understand??...

Old song, maybe seventies era [ 1 Answers ]

I heard a song on a radio at work the other day and I was just wondering if any one knows what group did it, the words I remember are "you ain't got no lover. I could have the words wrong but I'm pretty sure they're right.

WWII era movie [ 1 Answers ]

There is a movie I saw as a kid, I believe it was set in the WWII era, and the only scene I remember was a girl going out and her little brother drew a line up the back of her leg to make it look like she was wearing nylons. What movie is this? It's driving me crazy.

Indie era? [ 1 Answers ]

Lyrics something like-1990 Welcome to the Guru?Who sang the song?

View more questions Search