Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goargent Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 08:51 PM
    Is there tax ramifications If I Completely taredown ?
    Is there tax ramifications If I Completely taredown and built a new house ? I live in Los Angeles, CA
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 23, 2011, 09:18 PM
    Property tax? Of course. The assessor will look at it and what it cost you, and determine it's value.
    The IRS? It will be the same as any house as far as loan interest deductions, capital gains, and so on.
    It would help to have a specific question.
    I assume that you have gone through Planning and Zoning and have a permit to build.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Property tax? Of course. The assessor will look at it and what it cost you, and determine it's value. ...
    Well actually I believe assessors normally arrive at their figures by comparable sales, not cost of construction. At least for residential structures, anyway.

Feb 24, 2011, 12:08 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Is there a loop hole that as long as one original wall remains then there is some sort of a break ?

Feb 24, 2011, 12:08 AM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Is there a loop hole that as long as one original wall remains then there is some sort of a break ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 24, 2011, 01:06 AM
    Yes, comparables, (and the land value) but also costs when it's a totally new house. At least in my town.

Loop hole about what? Break on what?
    It sounds like you haven't even talked to P&Z yet.
    They will have set rules about what constitutes a tear down or a complete rehab, but that's not going to have much to do with taxes. That tells you what you can change or not, such as the footprint and height and setbacks and number of rooms and bathrooms and so on. I doubt that 'leaving one wall' is going to enable you to grandfather in a house that no longer meets zoning rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim Deed ramifications [ 0 Answers ]

We lost our house in a fire two months ago. When we moved into the house 9 years ago, the mortgage was in the name of myself and a friend. Less than a year later the friend quit claimed the house and property to me. Now that the insurance company is settling with me, I was...

Methadone and it's ramifications [ 3 Answers ]

I think I need to take methadone due to a long time use of narcotic painkillers. Who do I ask for the ethadone, my dr that had been prescribbing the pain meds or do I go somewhere else? What are the raminfcations of being on methadone? Will I never be able to take certain narcotic meds again? Does...

1099 vs payroll - tax ramifications [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has been offered a job, but there was some discussion on whether he would be an employee of the company or be a "contractor" and receive a 1099. If he is paid as a contractor and receives a 1099 what are the tax ramifications? Does he have to pay self-employment tax? If this is the...

Theft from employer-ramifications [ 4 Answers ]

I was reading other posts on this site and I came across one that is very simmiler to my case, he sounded like a jerk, but I guess I am no better. I work at an electornics store and recently tried to steal 4 Xbox 360s. I put them all in a different box and a coworker carried them out to his friends...

Ramifications of buying used items [ 4 Answers ]

If I buy a planer worth 3,000 and it doesn't work, what are my opitons. I don't have a receipt stating a guarantee. What are the laws in northern Michigan on buying used items?

View more questions Search