Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nlogsd09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 02:09 PM
    How do I become an international doctor?
    I would like to think that it would be possible for me to be a regular physician yet travel abroad in geographical areas in need. Are there steps that I need to take through the government or any sort of group that I would need to get in contact to. While treating patients I would also like to do research, but I just didn't know if there was anything as an International Medical License.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2011, 09:53 PM

No. Different licensing boards allow travel in different areas. Are you a currently licensed physician?
    nlogsd09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 09:56 PM

I am not, but something that I am looking forward to doing. Would it be easier to just go to a med program abroad then?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 10:11 PM

Have you ever heard of doctors without boarders?

Doctors Without Borders
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2011, 10:28 PM

I know that if you're licensed in the states, that you can go to certain developing nations to help at their clinics and such, but if you want to be hired as a physician in a hospital, licensing boards in different nations have different rules.

For instance, if you are licensed in the states, you can now practice australia and new zealand. If you are licensed in India, you have to retake the boards in the states to practice. If you're licensed in Europe or Central or South America, then you can be licensed to work in certain states in the US.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When Should I See a Doctor? [ 5 Answers ]

Since we have multiple postings on when it is important to seek medical advice, I thought I would post a few guidelines on when it is important to seek medical attention. It is important to contact your doctor's/dentist's office if you notice significant changes in how you feel and function. ...

Should I go to a doctor about this? [ 7 Answers ]

A few weeks ago I was outside with my dad and there was ice everywhere. I was about to leave for school and when I walked outside I slipped on the steps. At first my back and my backside was hurting but it doesn't hurt anymore. I also fell on my left elbow. Every time I touch my elbow it hurts....

When Should I See a Doctor? [ 0 Answers ]

Since we have multiple postings on when it is important to seek medical advice, I thought I would post a few guidelines on when it is important to seek medical attention. It is important to contact your doctor's/dentist's office if you notice significant changes in how you feel and function. ...

When Should I See a Doctor? [ 0 Answers ]

View more questions Search