Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cowgirl3 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 22, 2011, 09:14 PM
    Conditional or Unconditional Probability
    Looking for some help on this question. I can't figure out if this is a unconditional or conditional probability and which formulas to use.

Suppose that 18% of the employees of a given corporation engage in physical exercise activities during the lunch hour. Assume that 57% of all employees are male, and 12% of all employees are males who engage in physical exercise activities during lunch hour.

a) If we choose an employee at random from this corporation, what is the probability that this person is a female who engages in physical exercise activities during the lunch hour.

b) If we choose an employee at random from this corporation, what is the probability that this person is a female who does not engage in physical exercise activity during the lunch hour.

I am having difficulties determining if the 12% of employees who are males who engage in physical exercise activities during lunch hour is P(AIB) or if it is P(A and B) and how to answer part a and b.

Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2011, 09:17 AM

a) Not conditional

b) Not conditional

Notice that the questions says 'an employee', meaning that it could be a male or a female chosen, and hence, it doesn't mean 'what is the probability that an employee engages in physical exercise activities during the lunch hour, given the employee is female' or something like that.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2011, 11:04 AM

If you build a table, you can answer any kind of "what is the probability of something given something" type problem.

Assume an arbitrary number of people. Something easy to work with like 100.

Now, suppose it said, "what is the probability an employee chosen was male given they do not engage in activity"?

Go down the 'male' column to 'no activity' row, then go across to the total in that row.

"What is the probability an employee chosen engages in activity given they're female"?

Go across the 'activity' row to the 'female' column and go down.

And so on...
    cowgirl3 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Thanks so much for the help!
    Riturrajan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 01:22 PM
    Sorry I am confuse , does not it mean that 12 % of ( all emp who are engages in physical activity ) are male which means 12 % of 18 % are male
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2011, 02:09 AM

No, not 12% but 12 of 18 employees who engage in physical activity are male.

The percentage is (12/18)*100% = 66.7%
    harishdv Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Comment on galactus's post
    I am confused. How does this fit in the probability formula - P(A and B) = P (A|B) P (B)?

Feb 28, 2011, 09:09 AM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    NO. It states 12% of all employees are males who engage in physical exercise activities during lunch hour. Does this mean 12 of 18 employees? I am confused.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2011, 09:29 AM

Quote Originally Posted by comment on galactus' post
    I am confused. How does this fit in the probability formula - P(A and B) = P (A|B) P (B) ?.
    There is no need to get to conditional probability in this question!! galactus only showed how to answer the question if ever it required conditional probability.

When he said

"what is the probability an employee chosen was male given they do not engage in activity"?

You are looking for

So, this is given by:

Quote Originally Posted by comment on my post
    NO. It states 12% of all employees are males who engage in physical exercise activities during lunch hour. Does this mean 12 of 18 employees?. I am confused.
    No, read the given again.

"12% of all employees are males who engage in physical exercise activities during lunch hour."

All employers... this means all of the 100% employees. Or 12% of the TOTAL number of employees. Note that we don't know the exact number of employees doing such and such thing.

Feb 28, 2011, 09:43 AM
    But in an earlier posting you mentioned this -
    No, not 12% but 12 of 18 employees who engage in physical activity are male.

The percentage is (12/18)*100% = 66.7%
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2011, 09:49 AM

Yes, and what does 12 of 18 employees mean? It means that for every 18 employees, there are 12 who engage in physical activity. That's what the data told us.

Feb 28, 2011, 10:59 AM
    OK.. so what will be the correct calculation for this?
    b) If we choose an employee at random from this corporation, what is the probability that this person is a female who does not engage in physical exercise activity during the lunch hour.

Is it 37/43 OR 37/82 ?
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2011, 11:02 AM

I underlined/bolded the key terms. "this corporation" means the whole lot of employees, the 100%.

This means that the probability is 37/100. Hence why I told you that there was no conditional probability involved from the very start.

Was that so hard?

Feb 28, 2011, 11:09 AM
    Sure, but I was confused with Galactus's calculations above. If what you say is correct, then the answer to the other question should be 6/100?
    a) If we choose an employee at random from this corporation, what is the probability that this person is a female who engages in physical exercise activities during the lunch hour.
    eckartgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 07:53 PM
    Do you still need help with this?
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2011, 06:23 AM

Sure, but I was confused with Galactus's calculations above. If what you say is correct, then the answer to the other question should be 6/100?
    Right, you got the correct answer.

galactus only told you what to do if ever the question was a conditional probability question.

Mar 1, 2011, 02:42 PM
    Thanks for your help. I really appreciate.

Mar 1, 2011, 02:42 PM
    Comment on eckartgirl's post
    No.. I am all set. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conditional probability [ 1 Answers ]

a box contains 2 red and 3 blue marbles. Find the probaility that if 2 marbles are drawn at random 1 is red and 1 is blue (without replacement)

Conditional probability [ 2 Answers ]

I can't seem to get my head around probability. One is conditional probability as the formula I have been given is: P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B|A) But when I have researched conditional probability online and within books I get this formula P(B|A) = P(A and B) / P(A) I do not have a great deal...

Geometric probability, conditional probability with area of square [ 2 Answers ]

Chose a point at random in a square with sides 0<x<1 and 0<y<1. Let X be the x coordinate and Y be the y coordinate of the point chosen. Find the conditional probability P(y<1/2 / y>x).

Conditional Probability? [ 3 Answers ]

I could really use some help understanding the following problem: The probability is 1 in 4,000,000 that a single auto trip in the United States will result in a fatality. Over a lifetime, an average U.S. driver takes 50,000 trips. (a) What is the probability of a fatal accident over a lifetime?...

View more questions Search