Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xtazy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2003, 10:30 AM
    Creating a forum
    HI,
    I'de like to create a forum for my new site. But but I don't know anything about it. Can someone hepl me?
    I only know the interface part.

Thanks
    coreybryant Posts: 134, Reputation: 2

Oct 7, 2003, 03:28 PM
    Re: creating a forum
    Are you able to use ASP on your site or do you need to use PHP? You are wanting to host this forum on your site, correct?
    xtazy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2003, 08:45 AM
    I don't know what u mean by ASP n PHP? Could u please explain.

Thanks

Oct 15, 2003, 08:53 AM
    Creating a forum
    Do you have a domain name (I e www.yourdomain.com) or is it off another ISP (www.isp.com/yoururl)?

If you have your own domain name - are you hosting it on a UNIX or Windows server?
    Shoreside_Vale Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2003, 07:02 AM
    Do u use VBulletin or invision? Or are u creating it from scatch using php? If u needed a domain, u could try www.dot.tk
    AudioCourses Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Feb 19, 2004, 07:31 AM
    Getting a forum up is easy...

You need to send an e-mail to your webhost (ISP). Asking them something like this.

1. Do you provide a MySQL database. (this stores all the forum posts)
    2. Does the server allow php version 4. (this is just a particular type of web page, active ones)

The forum itself is available for free, as open source software, and a really good one at that!

The forum files get uploaded to your website and you then run an installer which will connect to the database. The database (MySQL) resides on the server and contains all the fourm data, just like this one you are reading.

Each time a new page is requested the forum pages ask for the information from the database.

It sounds complex but it really is a piece of cake.

Let me know if you need help.

LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2004, 07:38 AM
    Creating a forum
    Time to throw my views in now.

Xtsasy, you'll need to have a web host that supports some kind of server side scripting if you want a forum. Server side scripting is basically code that runs on your web server, not on a person's PC when they download the page (e.g. JavaScript). There's a number of different scripting languages you could use to create a forum. You'll need to find out if your web host supports them first. So check if your web host supports one or more of the following :

* ASP
    * PHP
    * JSP
    * CGI

Once you have found out which one of those your server supports myself and the other peeps here can help you out some more.

Just a warning though. A full blown forum is something you shouldn't undertake unless you know at least the basics of databases and HTML.

You might be better off trying some free guestbooks to start with. If you're hosting your site with someone like Geocities, the chances are they will have a script ready for you to use.

Feb 25, 2004, 07:42 AM
    Creating a forum
    And just one other site to review:
    http://www.forumcrafters.com/
    rasta Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2004, 01:58 PM
    LTheobald----im new to this forum, but I'm trying to add a forum to my online store, and would like some assistance to get started, could you advise?

-Rasta

Jun 30, 2004, 02:01 PM
    LTheobald----im new to this forum, but I'm trying to add a forum to my online store, and would like some assistance to get started, could you advise?
    -Rasta
    Welcome to the forums Rasta. What is the platform of your webserver - Windows or Unix/Linux?

Jun 30, 2004, 03:06 PM
    Creating a forum
    Corey,

My site is hosted on by Yahoo.

-Rasta

Jun 30, 2004, 03:16 PM
    Creating a forum
    They more than like use Unix / Linux, so you would need a PHP option

You could check out PHPbb, VBulletin, or invision

Jun 30, 2004, 03:24 PM
    OK,. PHPbb, VBulletin, or invision... could you explain more?

-rasta

Jun 30, 2004, 03:37 PM
    Creating a forum
    Well those are three forum software programs to use:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/
    http://www.phpbb.com/
    http://www.invisionboard.com/

Check out these links - and see which one might give you the options that you want. Some are free & some require a license fee.
    alicka Posts: 110, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2004, 12:24 AM
    If you know script, just use VB, through the use of Flash, all you need is domain space, and you need to have a idea of what you need to do to achieve this. Clearly you don't. Experience is amust in today's age.
    AudioCourses Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2004, 03:26 AM
    PhP
    I would go along with this one:

http://www.phpbb.com/

It's very easy to install and you won't need programming skills.

Also it's a fast system, which IS important for you surfers.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 26, 2004, 10:55 PM
    Hi Xtazy,

I don't know very much about forums, however, I just had one implemented into my new website that you will find in the link below. If you like the way my sites forum is set up, I can give you direct contact information on the person that I used to create forum and website.

Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Creating xp disc [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased a second hand computer which has xp loaded on it but it did not come with an xp disc. I want to transfer the required files from this computer to make a bootable disc so that I can re-install if it is required later. Thanks

Creating new math [ 3 Answers ]

My question to you all is how can I have the new math I create checked without worry of someone stealing the ideas or finishing ones that aren't finished?

Help creating a web site [ 6 Answers ]

My parents want to set up some web sites: one for my mothers artwork and another for my fathers archery but they want to do it for free. I am unsure of how to go about settting up one at all and they have put me in chargte of it! Please help, blusia:eek:

Creating one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:- C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive) I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\ E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not...

View more questions Search