Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Deposition coming up
    Okay friends, I have to attend a deposition on the 28th regarding labor and delivery. I'm not going into specifics unless you really need the details.

I was the admitting nurse and turned over care at 0700. The mistakes were made while I was sound asleep at home.

Most of you know that I have legal background, but I've never been on this end of the deposition table, so to speak.

What tips, tricks can you give me to stay calm, cool and collected? I'm really nervous about this even though I did nothing wrong.

The nurse I gave report to is the one who really has to worry.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2011, 07:10 AM

I assume you will have counsel representing you. Before you answer ANY question give counsel a chance to object or comment. Don't answer immediately. Always take a deep breath to consider your answer.
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 07:13 AM

Yes, I have very good counsel representing me, and the entire hospital for that matter.

It's just that the dep prep was brutal.

I was told that waiting too long to respond can be detrimental.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2011, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post

I was told that waiting too long to respond can be detrimental.
    Too long, yes. If you have been prepped, there should be some question you can answer quickly (like your name, address, job title). But taking a breath shouldn't be considered too long.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2011, 08:24 AM

Agree with Scott - I would advise a pause before giving ANY answer. If the "other side" is any good you'll be ASKED if you were prepped.

I would let that pause be part of my speaking pattern.

Answer ONLY what is asked, give no other info.

If you are nervous you'll be more on guard; witnesses who take the whole process lightly tend to blather on and on.

I'd also make direct eye contact with the person asking the question. No looking left or right, no shifting, no looking down.

If you don't know or don't remember, say just that.

Will you be questioned involving some other statement you gave, written or oral?
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 08:36 AM

I have never given a statement either written or oral. Thankfully.

Also, the entire event was caught on video tape. I have never seen the tape. Again, thankfully.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2011, 09:54 AM

Answering a question with a question - are you represented (individually) by counsel; is your liability carrier providing counsel for you?
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 05:13 PM

I am being represented by the hospital's counsel. I'm not being sued, the doctor is, but since my name is on the chart I have to be deposed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Agree with Scott - I would advise a pause before giving ANY answer. If the "other side" is any good you'll be ASKED if you were prepped.
    I'd also make direct eye contact with the person asking the question. No looking left or right, no shifting, no looking down.
    "Q: Did you discuss this deposition with anyone else?"
    "A: Well, I did discuss it on askmehelpdeski.com"
    :D

Remember, you are not a live witness on the witness stand. Thus, unless a video recording of the depo will be presented at trial, your demeanor doesn't really make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Answer ONLY what is asked, give no other info.
    If you don't know or don't remember, say just that.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    ... I was told that waiting too long to respond can be detrimental.
    And why is that? Is this depo. On video and will the video be shown to the trier of fact?
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    "Q: Did you discuss this deposition with anyone else?"
    "A: Well, I did discuss it on askmehelpdeski.com"
    :D
    That's exactly why I did not want to put any details of the case on here. ;)

The dep notice did not state whether it was a video dep. All the deps that I noticed out, years ago, were required to state if it was a video dep. That was in Michigan, not Tennessee.

I did have a dep prep in front of a camera though and was able to watch myself afterward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deposition in divorce [ 5 Answers ]

I have been subpeoned for oral deposition in my divorce. Is there any way to stop this?

Divorce Deposition [ 8 Answers ]

Are divorce deposition transcripts available to third parties? Here is the circumstance: I became involved with a married man prior to him being legally separated from his wife. Long story short, she sued him for his money, etc and used the affair with me as her way to win. Part of the process...

Rules regarding a deposition [ 5 Answers ]

I have just been notified of a lawsuit against me. The first deposition is coming up. What are the rules about who can attend? Is this considered a "public" event? The corporation suing me has considerable enemies in the journalistic field. Would a journalist be allowed to attend/

Sand deposition [ 2 Answers ]

What are some causes and effects of sand deposition?

Value of a deposition? [ 3 Answers ]

In litigation for R.O. & modify exchange local. No custody changes. Have 50/50. Ex responded to OSC with false allegations(alcohol & domestic abuse). In Aug. Judge appointed minors counsel, a 50 yd R.O. for both, no drinking for both. Ex is a Cop. Ex called DCSF in June, they came in late Aug,...

View more questions Search