Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kspeakes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 11:01 AM
    How can I file back tax returns for foreign earned income?
    I live abroad and earn very little money. For many years I have not filed my taxes, but I would like to get my financial affairs in order, even though I know I have no tax liability for those years. I have the amount I earned each year and the exchange rate for December 31 of each year. In the past, I was able to complete my own forms as my financial situation has always been simple. I've searched the IRS site, but I can't figure out which forms I need to use to file for those missed years. Can someone help?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 07:35 PM

You will file Form 1040 for the year.
    A U.S. citizen or resident must report worldwide income even when he or she does not live in the U.S. If your total worldwide income exceeds the filing requirement, a U.S. citizen or resident must file your U.S. tax return. If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116 or can file form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. Even if you have a filing requirement, the chances are you will not pay any U.S. tax or pay very little U.S. tax.
    Another filing requirement is Form TD F 90-22.1. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If my wife and I file a joint tax return, can we each exclude foreign earned income? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I both live and work outside the US, and until this year have filed separately, with each of us taking the foreign earned income exclusion. This year we're considering filing jointly, but it's not clear to us how doing so would affect the amount of foreign earned income that can be...

Foreign earned income and New York state tax [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if my 2007 bonus should be considered as New York source income or not or should it be all foreign earned income. 1. I worked in NYC from 1/2007-5/2007, then moved to work in UK since then. 2. My 2007 bonus was paid in 2008 and was on 2008 W-2, and some NY state tax was...

Tax credit on Foreign Income earned prior to coming US [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in mid Jul'07 from India with my wife and plan to stay in US for another 5yrs. I was working in India & have salary income during the period Jan'07-Jul'07. In India I have paid tax on this income. In US I have filed for extension to file the taxes Till mid Oct'08. I wanted...

Tax on Foreign Earned Income - NRO [ 5 Answers ]

I am a resident alien and I have a NRO certificate of deposit in India. If I understand correctly I need to report interest income earned in India also. 30% tax is already being deducted at source by the Indian bank on the interest I earn in India. Do I have to pay taxes in US too ? Or can...

View more questions Search