Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KK2 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2011, 07:52 PM
    Wireless router - no internet connection
    I have a Scientific Atlanta modem and use Time Warner Cable/RoadRunner internet service. I was using a belkin wireless router and it quit working. I contacted Time Warner and they said the problem was with my router, so I purchased a new Belkin Connect N150 router and am still not able to get it to connect to the internet. When I connect my ethernet from the modem to my desktop I have internet service, but when I connect the ethernet from my modem to the router I do not have wireless service nor service to my desktop with is connected through ethernet from the router. HELP! Please!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 08:04 PM

If you changed routers then you also have to change settings. Have you tried connecting to the router via hardwire? Can you talk to the router? If you just plugged it in and expected it to work then your computer would still be looking for the old router and you won't have wireless.

You need to make sure it is on the same path as the router. You would choose wireless connections and see if it is in the list.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 19, 2011, 08:18 PM
    This maybe obvious but just in case, did you ensure that you are plugging the Ethernet from your Scientific Atlanta modem to the YELLOW (WAN) Ethernet port on your N150? If so, can you login to your N150 from your PC when you plug the PC into one of the other Ethernet ports? http://router or sometimes http://192.168.2.1 will get you there depending on your firmware. When you login to the router, what does it say your WAN IP is?

Feb 19, 2011, 08:32 PM

I'm plugged in to the right ports & I forgot to add that I am able to connect to the router with my laptop wireless, just no internet access.

cajalat - following your directions @ http://router, the WAN IP is shown as 0.0.0.0

Feb 19, 2011, 08:42 PM
    OK the next thing to check is to see if your router is configured as DHCP for the WAN port and not STATIC. Login to the router and under the "Internet WAN" section click on "Connection Type" and make sure it is set for DHCP. If not then set it for DHCP, save and you may have to reboot it.

Feb 19, 2011, 08:51 PM

cajalat - YOU ROCK! It was already set at DHCP but I read this - "Some ISPs require that you clone (copy) the MAC address of your computer's network card into the Router. If you are not sure then simply clone the MAC address of the computer that was originally connected to the modem before installing the Router. Cloning your MAC address will not cause any problems with your network." SOOOOOOOO I changed it and BAZING! We've got connection!! Thank You!

Feb 19, 2011, 08:53 PM
    Glad you found it. That was going to be my next suggestion. You might want to call your ISP and have them reset that for the new router or outright remove the MAC address restriction. Your old router may have been just fine and just lost its config (preset MAC). You can test that theory on your old router.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting internet through wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up my wireless router. I am having trouble using my internet on my computer, yet my laptop will get the wireless connections. Here's what I did: 1: Plugged from computer to WLAN 2: Plugged the modem into the back of the router where it says too. I just don't know why I...

Connection to Internet using router [ 12 Answers ]

I just moved and switched from DSL to Cable for Internet service. I can get an internet connection directly through the modem to the computer but when I try to route through my router I can not get an internet connecvtion. Suggestions?

No wireless connection, Linksys Router [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have an old Gateway laptop and a new (less than one year) Macbook. The Gateway has a wireless G card and I'm not sure what's inside the Mac. Anyway, I was getting a perfect connection from both to my Belkin wireless router. One day it stopped! I tried everything. I switched out all the...

Wireless connection with D-LINK router [ 1 Answers ]

I have D-LINK DI-624+. At first I couldn't get into page http://192.168.0.1 but I connected my PC to LAN side of the D-LINK according to advice from this site. And everything was fine until I saved my changes and restarted. Immediately after that my computer says "network cable is unplugged" and...

View more questions Search