Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 06:43 AM
    NEC 2011, Section 404.2 - Request for Comments
    Greetings,

Talk about "BOHICA" (Navy term for Bend Over Here It Comes Again)

404.2(C) requires that switch outlets be served by a Neutral conductor to make sure that if electronic switches (motion detectors) may be used, the Neutral will be in place. If the outlet is connected via conduit, Neutral is not required because it can be pulled if ever needed.

This means, at least to me, that any switch loops will have to be run using a three wire cable. Neutral will have to be capped off.

Of course the customer will eat the cost increase. Increased use of Copper will drive the cost up. Such a waste of Copper for a "possible" future use. Aluminum may return to keep costs down.

Personally, it would have been better to require conduit runs to switch outlets than waste Copper.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2011, 05:55 AM
    I see the point of the new requirement, to eliminate the lack of a neutral in a switch location for the popular electronic dimmers, timers, occupancy sensors, etc, that require a neutral to operate.

So many people have attempted to install these devices and cannot since a neutral is missing. I wonder how many have been installed using the equipment ground where a neutral was missing.

One person out of 12 of the Code Making Panel voted against this, citing additional cost to wiring a dwelling. The others considered the likelihood of electronic devices being installed as being more possible.

The installer will need to plan the circuitry to be sure a neutral is at each switch location. I do not see this as a serious hardship. Switch loops will go away. Simply bring a feed to a switch then continue onto the load.

Sure there will end up that some neutrals will be installed that are not currently needed. I do not see the added cost being that large.

As an installer, I would have choices, either configure the wiring so the feed goes to a switch location first, or use a three wire cable where I really have my heart set on using a switch loop, or use raceway for my switches that would allow a neutral to be added in the future if needed.

Also note, this requirement is NOT required for any 3 way or 4 way switches, ONLY single pole switches.

I think it is important to note that this proposal came from the National Electrical Manufacturers Association, the group that makes the switch devices, not the Copper industry.

Keep in mind, the issue is Safety, to prevent the practice of using the equipment ground being used as a return, and convenience, to allow these devices to be used when desired.

These are my comments, not saying I am for or against it, just noting the purpose of the requirement and how to deal with it.

Fortunately I do not do residential as part of a business any longer. I would not want to do home wiring considering all of the requirements and the cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

404 not found errors [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a problem with not being able to connect to the internet. I continue to get winsock errors 100054. I have went to cmd and tried to reset winsock using: netsh winsock reset with no luck. I checked for malware and cleaned over 50 items detected. I also ran a registry scan and repaired...

I have 4 c/section my last section 3 months back now I have 8 days over periods. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 c/section. My last section was 3 months back. Now I had 8 days over periods. I have pregnancy test slight positive. Guide me can I abort it because I am not feeling myself able to continue it. Thanks rply soon very very worried.. I am

Megaclick and 404 Error [ 1 Answers ]

I have Vista and IE 7.0. When I get a 404 error (IE can't open web page), it comes from something called "Megaclick." I have the Megaupload toolbar, which I'd just as soon keep, but I definitely don't want to be diverted from web pages that are otherwise available. Should I be concerned, and if...

View more questions Search