Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TinmanR1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Toilet rough-in
    How far from the roughin wall to center line of waste should I set the toilet?
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 18, 2007, 04:15 PM
    12 inches from the finished wall.
    vinc12224 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2010, 03:07 PM
    U need to know what toilet u intend to buy if is 10" or 12" and then u give it 10"or12" from a finish wall if the wall is not finished add at least half of an inch to accommodate tiles
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 05:29 PM

Chicken or the egg, which comes first? Toilets come is several set backs with 12 being very common. 12" set back toilets are often less expensive than a 10". Allow for the drywall and baseborad and then come out 12 yto the center of the flange.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 18, 2010, 05:10 AM

I disagree with both dclynch and vinc.
    12 inches from the finished wall.
    It's really 12 inches from the UNFINISHED wall which makes it 11 1/2" from the finished wall.
    u need to know what toilet u intend to buy if is 10" or 12"
    Why would any one purchase a more expensive 10" toilet if he could install a regular priced 12: one? Doesn't make sense.
    add at least half of an inch to accommodate tiles
    I'm no tile man but the tiles I've seen run about 1/4". Cheers, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2010, 07:24 AM

Hi all..

Yeah, with all of the different toilets on the market today I won't rough in a toilet on a REMODEL JOB unless I have the toilet on the job first. In this way, I quickly set the toilet up and set it tight against the wall and measure to the center of the toilet bowl holes. I then add a 1/2" (keeping toilet a 1/2" off the wall) and that is my rough in.

For a 12" rough in toilet I have measured as little as 10.0" to center (some kohler toilets), most common is 10.5" to 11.0" and some 11.5", but never 12" or more.

For future readers of this thread, if possible, place the toilet against any wall in your home and measure... add the 1/2" and then rough your new toilet in at that measure. In this way you will have a nicely set toilet... not one that is 3" off the wall, OK? :)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Basement Roughin 3 piece ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I have attached a picture, is this a 3 pce roughin? I can see the toilet, and the tall pipe for water, what about a drain for the shower? What should I see for a normal 3 pce roughin. We also have infloor heating pipes laid, and haven't hooked up the boiler yet. But what options are we...

New bathroom roughin [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a house with an unfinished second floor. The bathroom has a 3" soil stack roughed in and stubbed, but thats it. The first floor stack vent is closeby, so theres no problem continuing the second floor stack to meet the venting the first floor stack. The problem is that the soil...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Basement Bathroom Roughin [ 5 Answers ]

I have home that is 8yrs old. The basement was roughed in for a toilet only and now I would like to add the shower and sink before closing everything off. The problem is the rough in for the sink and shower do not exist. The toilet is currently about 8' from the main soil stack that comes from...

View more questions Search