Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dell1492 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Bank levy in nj
    Hello, I live in New Jersey.
    My husband and I have joint bank accounts that were levied for a debt incurred long before I met him.
    I went to court and proved this money in the account was from his paycheck as I am not employed and although it seemed obvious to me that all was direct deposited from his employer the judge ruled in their favor stating it didn't really matter because I still owe this debt.
    We have decided on Bankruptcy because my old debts from 10 years ago are 20,000 and we really can't afford to pay them. We have been married only for 2 years. And these are from when my 1st husband died.

If we file before they do the writ of execution will our bank account be release from levy even though the judge ordered in their favor?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2007, 06:10 AM
    YOu can personnally file for yourself for the bankruptcy without your husband.

File a Motion to quash the garnishment again, and demand due process, if the money in this account is not yours they will have to prove you personnally have made deposits into the account.

Don't let the judge scare you, you are entitled to due process of the law and not the opinion from the judge, he must rule based on the law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2007, 07:05 AM
    As Yet said, you can file bankruptcy on your own. Do not involve your husband in that.

As for the bank levy, have him immediately open an account in his own name and change the direct deposit.

Then go back to court and appeal the decision of the judge. Yet is right, the judge has to rule on the law, so if he says it didn't matter he has to cite the law that supports that. From what I know of the law, if you can prove all funds deposited were not yours, then that should release the levy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank levy [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had a bank levy done where they took everything out of our acct. I was unaware of the money due. At this point, he has been disabled for 14 months and not working because the dr.'s said he cannot work. How do I contest this being it is my work money in the account. The sherrif's...

Bank levy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Last week I deceided to clear up my credit report so I pulled it and began paying off. One of debts was a judgemnt for 700. And soome change but we settled it and I paid . No yesterday I go to my savings acct and that same company I paid took out 1680.00 out of my acct. Now mind you when I...

Bank Levy [ 6 Answers ]

I had a bank levy put on my bank account and the outstanding balance was paid in full. My problem is that they took too much money out of my account. The company that took the money took $2000 more then they were supposed to. I've been calling them for a month to try to get my money back and...

Bank levy [ 2 Answers ]

I am 59 years old and have been through some difficult times recently. Today I learned that my bank account had a levy placed on it. There was only $533. In the account but it is all the money I have. Is there anything I can do to get it back. As a side note the bank took $100. As a processing fee.

Bank levy [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: Today I received papers on a bank levy to my account seeing how I only had a few dollars in there they took it. Will they keep coming after everything that I deposit until the debt is cleared? Because my check is direct deposited what do I need to do please someone help me.

View more questions Search