Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 21, 2011, 11:52 AM
    Do you have the exact Model Number for the laptop? There are several dozen "HP Pavilion Entertainment" laptops that HP makes and depending on when the laptop was release they can be quite different from each other.

The model number is typically on the bottom of the laptop.

You also said that this laptop is a refurb. Do you know if some parts were not original?
    sucosam Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
    I don't know the exact model number as it was a refurb. This is actually my father-in-laws system, so it's quite possible that some components are not original. I do believe though that this is a DV6000 unit. Original factory OS installed was Vista. I think in the BIOS I can get serial number if that would help in any way.

Feb 21, 2011, 12:38 PM
    The orange light means that wireless is turned off or it could mean that you don't have a wireless card installed. Since you can't see any "Unknown" devices in Device Manager and no clue to any wireless in the BIOS, and installing device drivers didn't work you may not have a wireless card. You can confirm this by removing the memory cover on the bottom of the laptop (remove all power AND battery) and visually check. Look at this picture in the manual on page http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035677.pdf on page 5-20. Follow section 5.3 and 5.6 first.

There should be some antenna leads (per picture) and a mini adapter. Check to make sure the mini adapter is there and that the leads to the antenna are connected. If you can take a picture and post here that would be helpful also.

Feb 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
    I guess I hadn't stated this up to this point, but this laptop was functional prior to me reloading it with Windows XP MCE. It was running Windows Vista, and had AVG anti virus and was very slow to respond. It did however have wireless capabilities prior to reloading the OS, so the wireless capability exists, it just seems to be missing the drivers, or a config of some kind to allow it to work. I reloaded XP MCE to stream content to Xbox 360.

All of your responses and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am hoping that this gets resolved and possibly helps someone else down the road.

Feb 21, 2011, 07:37 PM
    No worries... after we eliminate all possibilities whatever is left must be the truth :)

So can you double check that you loaded this patch:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36684.exe

Feb 21, 2011, 09:09 PM
    I have not. I will try that one in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion. I will let you know.

Feb 22, 2011, 05:33 AM
    sucosam... I gave you the wrong link... I've updated the post with the correct link which should be this: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36684.exe (I was thinking Vista but you did say XP).

Also when you go into Device Drivers, do you see any Yellow Question marks NOT under Network Adapter?

Feb 22, 2011, 07:32 AM
    Cajalat, I tried to run that update, but it wouldn't allow it as it was for Vista and I'm running XP. Any idea if there's a similar file but for XP? I got the feeling that this is what I'm missing. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2011, 07:35 AM
    Sorry, saw your new link after I posted my message. I'm trying that one now. I do not see any exceptions in device manager. Stay tuned, I should know shortly.

Feb 22, 2011, 07:44 AM
    I think I had downloaded this update, but perhaps didn't run it. I went through it again, but still no luck. My indicator light is still orange. I did a reboot after installing, and then a second reboot and went into BIOS but still no option referring to Network card. If I go into dev mgr (or network connections) I still do not see a wireless connection anywhere. The update seemed to go through the install process without issue though.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sucosam View Post
    I guess I hadn't stated this up to this point, but this laptop was functional prior to me reloading it with Windows XP MCE. It was running Windows Vista, and had AVG anti virus and was very slow to respond. It did however have wireless capabilities prior to reloading the OS, so the wireless capability exists, it just seems to be missing the drivers, or a config of some kind to allow it to work. I reloaded XP MCE to stream content to Xbox 360.

All of your responses and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am hoping that this gets resolved and possibly helps someone else down the road.
    I read your post and cajalat is doing a wonderful job of guiding you through the process but I have to add my knowledge about this matter.

You don't need Media Center to stream media to Xbox360 ;) a little knowledge for the toolbox for you!

Feb 22, 2011, 08:16 AM
    ITStudent. I had tried searching online for how to stream to the Xbox. You say MCE is not required? Is there a simple how to guide you know of that you can point me to? I have a different laptop also running XP, but I surf using Firefox. I wanted to go to a website on the xbox to watch a TV show I had missed. Ultimately I want to get this network adapter working, but in the meantime, if you know how I can use my own laptop to allow the Xbox to surf, that'd be helpful also. Thanks
    Networking Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 08:18 AM

What version of MCE? There are multiple...
    What previous version of Vista?

Feb 22, 2011, 08:29 AM
    The version of XP MCE on the laptop that does not have the working Wireless is Windows XP Media Center Edition Ver 5.1 SP2. The version on my other laptop is Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 SP2 and that one has wifi capability. I am not certain what the version of Vista that was installed on this laptop previously. I am still trying to track down any install disks for it.
    Networking Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sucosam View Post
    ITStudent. I had tried searching online for how to stream to the Xbox. You say MCE is not required? Is there a simple how to guide you know of that you can point me to? I have a different laptop also running XP, but I surf using Firefox. I wanted to go to a website on the xbox to watch a TV show I had missed. Ultimately I want to get this network adapter working, but in the meantime, if you know how I can use my own laptop to allow the Xbox to surf, that'd be helpful also. Thanks
    1. Didn't know MC could stream online video to Xbox
    2. I was referring to music, videos & pictures already on your laptop.

To the cloud... (it means time for research)

Feb 22, 2011, 02:30 PM
    Perhaps I mislabeled what it was I was trying to do prior to the reload. I wanted to surf on the internet using the Xbox 360. I researched online and found some links stating that I needed (or could use) a wireless computer running on Media center edition. This is why I did the reload with this version of Windows OS. Of course after the reload I ran into the issue with the wireless networking issue. It worked before the reload, it didn't afterwards, and it doesn't even appear to be installed. I still need to figure out my xbox issue, but I'll do more research on that, or make a separate post.

Feb 22, 2011, 05:46 PM
    This is getting stranger and stranger. So I started googling and turns out you're part of a huge crowd with the Same problem. One day it works and the next day it doesn't. Downgraded to XP and now orange light on and no drivers... re-installed OS and now it doesn't work... and on and on.

It appears that the Motherboard is the culprit with weak/faulty solder joints. There are a few hit/miss remedies that you might want to try but most people seemed to opt for a $10 USB wireless card instead. ZDnet had a big expose on the HP Pavilion as well.

Here are the links to the various threads on HP's site with the identical problem:

HP Pavilion dv6000 Wireless adapter missing, *** help! - HP Support Forum

HP Pavilion Dv6000 Wireless Lan Adapter Missing after update... - HP Support Forum

Wireless switch orange NOT blue on dv6000 - HP Support Forum

Pavillion dv6000 - Downgraded to XP Pro, now drivers dont wo... - HP Support Forum

There are a lot more posts about the same problem that you can find on the HP site.

Here's the ZDnet Arcticle:
    Tech Shakedown: HP Pavilion notebook owners flood HP's site with WiFi problem complaints | ZDNet

So the bottom line from what I've been able to tell these solutions worked for some but not others:

1. Re-install the BIOS even if it is the same version
    2. unplug, remove battery, remove the internal battery, wait 5 minutes and replug
    3. Unplug the mini card and reseat
    4. Run FurMark (apparently heats the CPU/GPU enough to let it resolder itself)
    5. Take out the motherboard and bake it at 400 degrees

Yes.. baking the motherboard seems to be a common scenario as that seems to remelt the solder around the chips. I found a few videos on YouTube that show you how to resolder/bake the MB:

YouTube - hp pavilion solder

So after you reach step 4 my advise is to you is to save yourself the headache and buy a $10 Wireless USB adapter.

I have to tell you, I've watched several videos that bake the motherboard... I'm laughing while admiring whoever thought of it and figured it out. Many positive responses to the baking videos but I'm not sure I would take that chance unless I have nothing to lose.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2011, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cajalat View Post

I have to tell you, I've watched several videos that bake the motherboard....I'm laughing while admiring whoever thought of it and figured it out. Many positive responses to the baking videos but I'm not sure I would take that chance unless I have nothing to lose.
    Speaking as a degreed electronic Engineer... like you hinted at... temps that will reflow solder are also high enough to damage components.

When they are built they are not subjected to those temps. THere would be a very high failure rate after trying to cook a component laden board at those temps.
    Networking Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 11:23 PM

I will comment more when you create the post about your Xbox but I have never heard of an xbox being able to browse the web.

MC is for sharing photos, music &videos. Xbox has espn video and Netflix among others but not straight up web browser capability (to my knowledge)

Feb 23, 2011, 07:46 AM
    Thx for the tips guys. Cajalat, I will go through your suggestions and I agree with you and smoothy that I'm not really comfortable baking anything in the oven that I can't put into my mouth afterwards :) I also found that in the USA (I'm in Canada) there was a class action lawsuit over this issue, and it seems that my particular laptop is in fact in the long list of HP units affected by or are part of this lawsuit. Unfortunately, I don't qualify as I'm not a US citizen, but additionally the deadline has passed. I wonder if I were to reinstall Vista if the problem would still exist. I'm guessing it would, but only one way to find out.

Thanks for the time you all have spent trying to assist me with this. I recommend askmehelpdesk.com to a lot of people because of people like you folks. Thanks so much once again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network adapter [ 3 Answers ]

I am back again.. by the way I never resolved the other issue but was wondering if I could trouble you again. I am trying to install Comcast onto my laptop but it says I do not have a network adapter. Now the question is this. . talked to comcast no help talked to some other people no help. What I...

Network adapter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have windows XP. Have problem with my network adapter drivers. I use a broadcom netlink network card. I have a yellow exclamation mark next to the driver in device manager. It shows an error code 31. I try to uninstall it but it doesn't let me.. says failed to uninstall because it may be...

Driver for internal Network Adapter/Card? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, After installing windows XP I found that the driver for the internal Network Adapter/card was not installed. We tried to install it manually without success. With the "old" External Network Interface Card, the brand name and other details were easily obtainable and armed with this...

IEEE 1394 FireWire CardBus adapter [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased an IEEE 1394 3-port CardBus Host Adapter for my laptop so I could edit video on my DV camcorder using the FireWire port. I inserted the card, the "Found New Hardware" message popped up, then "Hardware Sucessfully Installed" shortly there after. However when I...

FireWire IEEE 1394 Adapter install [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a firewire IEEE 1394 Adapter (3 port) and a firewire cable. (1)I installed the adapter per instructions; (2) reconnected all the wires, turned on computer, desktop came up, popup in lower right corner stated "Found new hardware OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller". (3)I went to...

View more questions Search