Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margar Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2011, 07:35 PM
    Looking to buy a sewing machine
    I need to buy a sewing machine. Any advise out there as to which brand is the best? My mother had a pfaff and I wish I had kept it. I am not sure where to start. Thanks
    sewslikethewind Posts: 30, Reputation: 9

Oct 2, 2011, 02:40 PM
    I am shocked no one has has an opinion on this yet! Mine is this -- get an older machine. As old as a machine that offers all the features you absolutely must have. The cool stuff breaks down, isn't easily repaired, and is expensive to repair. Look for a machine that has no plastic parts -- inside or out.

If you buy a new machine, get one from a dealer, not a department or a chain store. They often will discount their prices if you hem and haw, and will be there for you when things go wrong. Can you call a fabric store or a department store and ask them a question about a bobbin problem? Bah! Often dealers have repaired used machines for sale as well.

Also, try out the machine you want to buy. Even if you are buying it in the ads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Year and value of White Rotary Sewing Machine FR3387864 great shape? Do I buy at$60? [ 1 Answers ]

I found a White Rotary sewing machine for sale for $60. It is in great shape, including the cover. The SN is FR3387864 so first I need to know what year that is. Then, is it worth the money to pick it up?

White Rotary Sewing Machine Model # FR 3113766 What year is this machine? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a White Rotary Sewing Machine Model # FR 3113766. I would like to know the year. It has the original book and all the attachments. It has a small motor and a light.

Need information on queen sewing machine made by Illinois sewing company [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a Queen treadle machine. Manual says it is made by Illinois Sewing Machine Company. I need needles. Can not find a needle size or model number. Where do I get information?

Sewing paper on cloth on a sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

Any hints on how to successfully sew crêpe paper onto sheer cloth? I am making angel wings for a pageant and the needle keeps cutting right through the paper. What I have gotten done is beautiful and light weight so I know this is the right combination but it is taking more time than I...

Value of Raymond Sewing Company Foot Pedal Sewing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I am in possession of a Raymond Company foot pedal operated Sewing machine and I am wondering roughly what it may be worth. I believe it is from the late 1800's.

View more questions Search